Old 04-01-2004, 02:52 AM
Claude

Default Zygopetalum!

Hello everyone!

I have been in contact with a nice orchid vendor who proposed to sell me a
very big zygopetalum.

I grow Phal, paph and 2 oncidiums.

What are the best condition for a zygopetalum? Are they the same as Phal and
Paph?
I grow them under fluorescent light!

Thanks

Claude

Old 04-01-2004, 07:02 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 21:44:56 -0500, "Claude"
wrote in Message-Id: :

What are the best condition for a zygopetalum?

Zygos want nearly as much sun as Cymbidiums, and more moisture.

Are they the same as Phal and Paph?

Nope. Zygos require more light.

I grow them under fluorescent light!

Fluorescent light intensities probably won't result in much in the way
of flowers for zygos.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 09:18:49 -0500, "Pat Brennan"
wrote in Message-Id: :

I grow my Zygos in the same house with my phals and paphs. It is in a
brighter section of the greenhouse (maybe 1800 ft-c) but they receive
less light than my oncs.

Fluorescent lighting won't produce much over an average of 600fc at
12" from the tube*, and light intensity falls rapidly with more
distance.

A fair number of the zygos are in bloom right now, so high light is not
a requirement.

That depends on one's definition of 'high light.' I would
characterize high light as being in the 4,000 fc to 5,000 fc range.

*
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/gt/africanv...%20violets.htm

Old 04-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Pat Brennan

Hi Larry,

Fluorescent lighting won't produce much over an average of 600fc at
12" from the tube*, and light intensity falls rapidly with more
distance.

My bulbs must really need replacing, I just took a couple of reading and
could not find any that even got close to 600 fc. You have to be careful
when people are talking light levels. When I say my greenhouse is shaded to
1800 fc that is based on a midday reading on a day without clouds. During
most of the day the light levels are climbing towards or receding from this
peak. In addition clouds rob a lot of sun. When we talk about a 600 fc
fluorescent light, it is providing a full 600 fc for a full 12 hours. I
guess there needs to be some sort of 'fcHour' measure to help compare the
two environments. I do know that if I shaded to 600 fc it would be too dark
to bloom phals although it is fine under fluorescent lighting. I also know
that much more than 1200 - 1500 fc under HPS and phals will start to show
signs of stress, but in the greenhouse this light level is close to ideal.

That depends on one's definition of 'high light.' I would
characterize high light as being in the 4,000 fc to 5,000 fc range.

Others would consider your light levels to be about '50% shade'. Both
characterizations are right but sound so very different.

Pat

Old 04-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Pat Brennan

Just another data point. I grow my Zygos in the same house with my phals
and paphs. It is in a brighter section of the greenhouse (maybe 1800 ft-c)
but they receive less light than my oncs. A fair number of the zygos are in
bloom right now, so high light is not a requirement. But some of the zygos
get pretty big (mackayi and some of its hybrids) and that might be an issue
for under light culture.

Pat

"Wendy" wrote in message
Hello Claude, Did you tell the orchid vendor that you are growing indoors
under lights?
A good vendor would have asked you & not tried to sell you something that
wouldn't grow in
your environment?
Zygo's need high light & grow outside with Cymbidiums, weather permitting.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

. ..

Old 04-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Claude

Thank you Wendy!

Actually, he suggest me this zygo but he didn`t know I was growing indoor!
Anyway, the plant is too big for me, it is a 12 inch pot and it`s about 3
feet height!

I will stick with Phal, Dtps and Paph.

I`m gonna get a Dtps. Kenneth Schulbert ! I`ve been waiting so long to get
one!

Bye for now

Claude

P.S: Simple question about yellow Phal. I have this Phal. Brother Love Amigo
(Phal. Brother Gold Miss 2 X Phal. Fortune Green BH2) and it`s blooming
since september. Is this normal, for a yellow phal, that at the end of the
spike, there is always a new flower bud growing. At first, I had 3 flower,
then a new bud grown, 1 flower died and now a new bud is forming...
I heard not to cut the spike! Is this true???

Thanks

Old 04-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Kenni Judd

Now wait just a minute, Wendy! Your first question was very good -- anyone
purchasing an orchid he or she is not familiar with should ask questions
about it, with reference to his or her growing conditions.

But then you went a bit overboard, IMHO -- If you order an orchid via my
website (or visit my booth at a show, or come into my shadehouse, and select
a plant), do you _really_ want me to grill you about your growing conditions
before I allow you to purchase it?

Even if you personally might prefer that, I can tell you from experience
that a lot of customers don't -- and some will get quite huffy about it!

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 05-01-2004, 12:33 AM
Wendy

Kenni,
My reply was to Claude & was purely circumstantial. It pertained to him
being a
rookie.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

. ..

Old 05-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Diana Kulaga

If you order an orchid via my website (or visit my booth at a show, or come
into my shadehouse, and select a plant), do you _really_ want me to grill
you about your growing conditions before I allow you to purchase it?

Even if you personally might prefer that, I can tell you from experience
that a lot of customers don't -- and some will get quite huffy about it!

Personally, I think it would be a good service to a customer to politely ask
about growing conditions, at least if the transaction is in person. (Doing
so on the web might seem kind of cold.) After all, if a customer purchases
something that will quickly expire after purchase, that does no good for the
seller or the buyer. Perhaps a way to handle it would be to ask if the
customer needs culture advice for the plant. Someone who knows what he/she
is doing will say no, while a newbie would gratefully accept, and buy
something else if the plant in question is not suitable for its intended
environment.

No, I wouldn't relish being "grilled" about my growing conditions, but it's
not what you say, it's how you say it...........

Diana

Old 05-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

One more thing about Zygos, Claude. Most of them prefer cooler temps than
Phals. I love them, but they are a problem for us FL growers without
greenhouses.

Diana

Old 05-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Ray

I cannot tell you how many times I've talked people out of buying a plant,
and it surprises the hell out of them!

Simply, I'd prefer that they get a plant that's appropriate for their
conditions rather than get one they end up killing, possibly turning them
off to me and/or orchids altogether.

Then there was the time someone insisted that the recipient of their gift -
ten bare-root ascocendas - absolutely know how to care for them. (The
recipient returned them a week later...)

.. . . . . . . . . . .
hlink.net...

Old 05-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Diana Kulaga

I cannot tell you how many times I've talked people out of buying a plant,
and it surprises the hell out of them!

I couldn't agree more, Ray. The major part of my working life has been in
sales and sales management, and one thing I pounded into new salespeople was
to look out for the customer. Doing so is to ensure an ongoing relationship
based on trust, which is sadly lacking in too many cases. I used to present
a chart to show how one client, who I talked out of selling her property,
led to 36 transactions down the line.

IMO, Caveat Emptor is a sure road to less sales in the long run.

Diana

Zygopetalum ID Dave Gillingham Orchids 1 21-06-2004 01:05 PM
When to re-pot a Zygopetalum? ChrisR Orchids 2 15-08-2003 03:12 PM
Zygopetalum mackayi bloom time? Caren Orchids 5 30-01-2003 10:45 PM