Old 06-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Cezary Struniewicz

Default dendrobium thyrsiflorum care

Hello,

I have just received, as a gift, small dendrobium thyrsiflorum
(four bulbs, on one plant, of height about 1-2 in),
and I am looking for some informations about growing of this orchid.
The ones I have found on the net are very poor indeed...
Could you share with your experience in grownig of this orchid, I mean
everything you have observed: when it will start to bloom,
what heppens during the rest period (desired watering, temperature,
will it throw the leafs), fertilizing during the whole year and so on...

Thanks
Cezary

Old 08-01-2004, 01:02 AM
TU

"Cezary Struniewicz" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have just received, as a gift, small dendrobium thyrsiflorum
(four bulbs, on one plant, of height about 1-2 in),
and I am looking for some informations about growing of this orchid.
The ones I have found on the net are very poor indeed...
Could you share with your experience in grownig of this orchid, I mean
everything you have observed: when it will start to bloom,
what heppens during the rest period (desired watering, temperature,
will it throw the leafs), fertilizing during the whole year and so on...

Thanks
Cezary

Cezary,
Your plant will take some time before flowering. Den thyrsiflorum
could grow up to 60cm long, although mine don't grow taller than 20cm
and have flowered. Do you grow any other Dendrobium, say Den
densiflorum, farmeri, or lindleyi ? Just asking because they have
similar cultural requirements.
From my experience, mature Den thyrsiflorum can take temp as low as 5C
or lower if you keep it fairly dry in winter. Occasional summer temp
of 38C is OK if humidity is high (70%). Having said that, I'm sure
they'd be much happier if your temp is kept between 10 and 25C,
especially for young plants.
New growths and new roots appear in late spring/early summer, after
flowering. This is the time when they need frequent watering and
fertilising - keep them moist. They need bright light but not direct
sun light, and they prefer well drained growing medium. Reduce water
when growths stop in late autumn.
Let me know if I miss out anything as I'm a new grower also.

Tong
Old 08-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Cezary Struniewicz

Tong

Thank you, especially for informations based on your experience,
I am really begining orchid grower, and this is my first seson (winter)
I spend with these plants. Till now, I observed, my two other dendrobiums
have thrown away leafs on winter - as I have read in literature - and I
expect
they start wegetation on spring (I hope). Does den thyrsifloum do such
things?
Could you write me about the frequence of fertilizing, I mean is this every
two
weaks?

Cezary

Old 09-01-2004, 02:02 AM
TU

"Cezary Struniewicz" wrote in message ...
Tong

Thank you, especially for informations based on your experience,
I am really begining orchid grower, and this is my first seson (winter)
I spend with these plants. Till now, I observed, my two other dendrobiums
have thrown away leafs on winter - as I have read in literature - and I
expect
they start wegetation on spring (I hope). Does den thyrsifloum do such
things?
Could you write me about the frequence of fertilizing, I mean is this every
two
weaks?

Cezary

Some dendrobiums drop leaves in winter, some only do so when winter is
very cold. Den thyrsiflorum don't normally drop leaves in winter, but
they do drop leaves as the pseudobulbs mature.
They should have new growths in Spring, but if you keep them quite
cold in winter it might be late spring or early summer before you see
new growths.
I only fertilise mine every 2 weeks or so and only when I see new
growths and new roots. Whatever you do, keep in mind that your growing
conditions are different from mine, a lot colder in winter and shorter
spring/summer perhaps.

Good luck with your growing
Tong