Old 21-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Shell

Default Orchid question

Do orchids bloom from old previously bloomed pseudobulbs? And will
pseudobulbs that have lost thier leaves re-grow the leaves?

Shell

Old 21-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Al

I don't know of any orchid that, having lost it's leaves on a bulb, will
regrow new leaves.

Some dendrobiums will rebloom for years on old bulbs, even after the leaves
have dropped. There are many that bloom on old bulbs and there are many,
many more that won't. It is more of species trait than one that is common
across a whole genera, I think. Most orchids with bulbs don't rebloom. For
instance I can't think of a single Cattleya that does.

Bulbs is just short hand for pseudobulbs; it is not correct otherwise to
call them that. Forgive me. Sometimes people call dendrobium 'bulbs'
'canes' as a type of short hand also and they should be forgiven too...

m...

Old 21-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Shell,

An example to add to Al's reply: I have a Den. Palola Sunshine x Ahulani
Hinojosa that is in bloom now. It's a very prolific bloomer, and took a
trophy for Best Dend last year. When it won, and now, it blooms on leafed
and bare canes. This latest bloom cycle was 15 spikes, at least 2/3 of them
on bare canes. Den. discolor also blooms on bare canes. I believe that
'calista' dends are different, but no one will answer my questions about
them! ;-D

I guess I made the assumption that you were talking about Dends.

Diana

"Al" wrote in message
I don't know of any orchid that, having lost it's leaves on a bulb, will
regrow new leaves.

Some dendrobiums will rebloom for years on old bulbs, even after the

leaves
have dropped. There are many that bloom on old bulbs and there are many,
many more that won't. It is more of species trait than one that is common
across a whole genera, I think. Most orchids with bulbs don't rebloom.

For
instance I can't think of a single Cattleya that does.

Bulbs is just short hand for pseudobulbs; it is not correct otherwise to
call them that. Forgive me. Sometimes people call dendrobium 'bulbs'
'canes' as a type of short hand also and they should be forgiven too...

m...

Old 22-01-2004, 12:36 AM
Shell

Dends, catts, any and all other types I have two paphs that are
beginning to look promising and a small catt that has a sheath. All of them
are just sitting there though. Most of my orchids are small, can't wait for
them to get big though

Shell

link.net...

"Al" wrote in message
I don't know of any orchid that, having lost it's leaves on a bulb, will
regrow new leaves.

Some dendrobiums will rebloom for years on old bulbs, even after the

leaves
have dropped. There are many that bloom on old bulbs and there are

many,
many more that won't. It is more of species trait than one that is

common
across a whole genera, I think. Most orchids with bulbs don't rebloom.

For
instance I can't think of a single Cattleya that does.

Bulbs is just short hand for pseudobulbs; it is not correct otherwise to
call them that. Forgive me. Sometimes people call dendrobium 'bulbs'
'canes' as a type of short hand also and they should be forgiven too...

m...

Old 22-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Diana Kulaga

Catts bloom on new growths. If a Catt loses a leaf on a back bulb (common),
just keep the bulb with the plant unless it either shrivels completely or,
ominously, becomes soft and squishy, which is an indication of rot. If that
happens, repot immediately, removing the bad bulb and dusting the wound. I
use a douse of peroxide for the whole plant, followed by cinnamon on the cut
area for this.

I know what it's like to wait for those babies to bloom. I bought a lot of
them when I was new to orchids, and many have yet to bloom. Now, I buy only
fairly mature plants, unless it's something that I simply *must* have!

Diana

m...

"Al" wrote in message
[...]

m...

Old 22-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Shell

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
ink.net...
Catts bloom on new growths. If a Catt loses a leaf on a back bulb

(common),
just keep the bulb with the plant unless it either shrivels completely or,
ominously, becomes soft and squishy, which is an indication of rot. If

that
happens, repot immediately, removing the bad bulb and dusting the wound.

use a douse of peroxide for the whole plant, followed by cinnamon on the

cut
area for this.

I know what it's like to wait for those babies to bloom. I bought a lot

of
them when I was new to orchids, and many have yet to bloom. Now, I buy

only
fairly mature plants, unless it's something that I simply *must* have!

I know the feeling LOL. I have several (seedlings I am sure) that I just
couldn't pass up the chance to get them. I'm currently watching a Dracula
with an eye toward getting one *hey if it's wierd, I need one, what can I
say *

Shell

m...

"Al" wrote in message
[...]