Old 24-01-2004, 04:33 PM
bk

Default Question on Vanda spikes

I often see spikes forming and then drying up.
The Vandas are watered every morning, unless
it rained at night. I still get several blooms. In fact
several are in bloom right now.
Are we over watering or is
this just a natural occurance?

Old 24-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Ray

I would suspect that relates to insufficient humidity or insects of some
sort. With rare exception, every spike that form on mine bloom fully.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
ink.net...

Old 24-01-2004, 08:34 PM
bk

Seeing that I'm in Miami Beach, I'd have to go with insects.

"Ray" wrote in message
I would suspect that relates to insufficient humidity or insects of some
sort. With rare exception, every spike that form on mine bloom fully.

. . . . . . . . . . .
ink.net...

Old 24-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Diana Kulaga

I would treat the collection systemically for thrips. What you're
describing sounds awfully familiar. Orthene does a great job; re-treat
after a week or so.

Good Luck!

Diana

ink.net...

Old 24-01-2004, 11:14 PM
bk

I used that about a year ago.
1 Tbs/gallon?
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
link.net...
I would treat the collection systemically for thrips. What you're
describing sounds awfully familiar. Orthene does a great job; re-treat
after a week or so.

Good Luck!

Diana

ink.net...

Old 25-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Diana Kulaga

Too much, IMHO. I'm in Port St. Lucie, and some successful local
semi-commercial growers use 2 teaspoons. I tried the label amount once and
it caused some defoliation here and there, and damage to buds. Used right,
Orthene appears not to harm flowers. Also, watch out for gardenia season if
you have any near your orchids. Orthene the gardenias; they're thrip
magnets.

I know it's a pain, but I'd get on it. Those things can run through a Vanda
spike like Grant took Richmond! (Yes, I know from bitter experience.......)
And no sense taking chances until you see damage to other orchid flowers.
Hit 'em all.

Diana

Old 26-01-2004, 12:01 PM
profpam

A post on another forum said that Orthene is another item that is being
discontinued. So many of the better products have been removed from the
shelves. But, then again, I switched to Neem Oil in the greenhouse when
my volunteer tomato plant produced about three dozen large tomatoes as
Orthene can't be used on vegetables.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 26-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Pam,

In that case, I'm going to load up on it, enough to last me forever. Neem is
tough down here in south FL, where so many of us grow outdoors. The sun can
cook a plant very quickly. I try to avoid oil based remedies, unless it's a
natural preparation with a minimal amount of oil.

Thanks for letting us know that one more good remedy is about to bite the
dust.

Diana

Old 27-01-2004, 06:17 AM
Susan Erickson

"profpam" wrote in message ...
A post on another forum said that Orthene is another item that is being
discontinued.

IS that Nationally or Just California?
SuE

Vanda question Alicia Moïse Orchids 3 10-04-2007 12:02 AM
POE 2007 - Vanda Rothschildiana - dusty blue tesselated vanda Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 1 28-02-2007 12:50 PM
POE 2007 - Vanda Pakchong Blue 'Devera' - deep blue LARGE vanda Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:19 AM
Phal spikes question Daniel Orchids 9 22-01-2004 06:30 PM
No Spikes???-Thanks, but one more semi-hydro question Charles Peters Orchids 4 18-11-2003 10:42 AM