Old 21-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Daniel

Default Phal spikes question

My phal spray of blooms is beginning to go south.

I'ts been almost 8 weeks of blooming.

Is is better to let them all wither on the spike
then cut the spike or cut the spike now.
I want to cut it to one node below where the
spray started. Maybe I can get a second growth?

Thanks Daniel

Old 21-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Diana Kulaga

Daniel,

You can cut the spike as you mentioned, and hope for a second flowering or a
keiki, but you need to judge the condition of the plant first. It takes a
lot of energy for an orchid to bloom, especially a Phal, which blooms for so
long.

If the plant's leaves are looking high and strong, you can risk cutting the
spike. If it looks droopier than it did before, don't do it - the plant
needs to rest.

Personally, I rarely try to encourage a new bloom on an old spike; if the
plant wants to do it, it will, without our help, and if not, I give it the
chance for a little down time in which to produce new leaves. Think of it
as a gal being pregnant all the time. We'd get testy! S

Diana

Old 22-01-2004, 05:10 PM
kenty ;-\)

I know we are artificially growing our plants,but in nature do the old
spikes stay or eventually die?I suppose what I am saying is, in nature there
isn't anyone with a pair of scissors ready to cut off the spike so what
really is best?everyone will have there own way I suppose.

--
Thanks Keith
link.net...

Old 22-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:59:16 -0000, "kenty ;-\)"
wrote:

I know we are artificially growing our plants,but in nature do the old
spikes stay or eventually die?I suppose what I am saying is, in nature there
isn't anyone with a pair of scissors ready to cut off the spike so what
really is best?everyone will have there own way I suppose.

In nature - the plants are lucky to survive. But the spike will
die and dry down becoming a brittle dry stem. When the wind,
rain, birds or an animal flex it strongly enough, it will break
off.
SuE

Phal spikes failing Byron Orchids 1 26-04-2006 10:35 PM
newest Phal spike below older spikes? J Fortuna Orchids 3 21-03-2006 04:45 AM
Phal: spikes and roots Reka Orchids 7 14-11-2004 08:43 AM
Q phal bud spikes Sarah Huff Orchids 1 11-01-2004 03:04 AM
phal cornu-cervi (Don't cut the spikes!) Ray Lloyd Orchids 1 01-10-2003 06:22 AM