Old 12-02-2004, 05:25 PM
K Barrett

Default favorite orchid related URLs?

I just thought of another one: http://www.sundancesupplies.com I hope the
link works, if not its Sundance Supplies. For info on building a greenhouse
yourself.

K Barrett

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 03:44:31 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

If BSP is not allowed http://www.ladyslipper.com

Well since you swiped Ladyslipper -
How about www.phragweb.info This is the place so research Phrags.
When he can get the pix, Rob Zuiderwijk posts not only the
details about a species or hybrid, but also several photos.

No one had the RHS site - For those with out Wildcatt or the joy
of researching one hybrid at a time.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/registration_orchids.asp
This does have the advantage of the use of 1/2 a name will pull
up the hybrid. For instance 'van' would pull the word advantage
as well as any word ending or starting with van. It can be
useful.

http://www.ecuagenera.com/ If you ever find that they are going
to be in your area. They will bring an order up for you.
Good plants, good people.

http://www.orchidsbyhausermann.com/
Make sure you have the ENTIRE address, without the 'Orchids by'
is not an orchid site! This is the traditional midwest "orchid
range" In Chicago (metro) and with something like 4 acres under
glass.

http://www.hoosierorchid.com/
Out of Indiana - Conservation and species preservation #1.
Lovely collection of Angraecoids.

Just a touch of self promotion: - since I am not the web master.
http://denverorchidsociety.org/ Denver Orchid Society and Rocky
Mt Judging center's posting. Come visit 'Mile High Magic' in
October with the AOS Members Meeting.

SuE

Old 12-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Eric Hunt

Joanna,

Since most everyone posted places to buy, I'll post a list of just great
places to read and learn about orchids.

http://www.loujost.com/ - great modern explorer of the hidden orchid
treasures left in Ecuador
http://orchids.rnr.id.au/ - Amazing site with hundreds of in-situ photos of
Australian terrestrial orchids
http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eemntee/page18.html - Australian Native
Species
http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/herbarium/orchid/ - Orchid Research Newsletter at
KEW in England - for true orchid nerds
http://elparaiso.org/orchidata/cats.htm - Nice site about Catasetums
http://www.pleione.info/ - Everything you wanted to know about Pleiones
http://www.disas.com/ - Everything you wanted to know about Disas (note: URL
is disas.com, disa.com is a non-orchid business, very boring site)
http://houstonorchidsociety.org/Stanhopea/ - Nina Rach's all-comprehensive
site dealing with the Stanhopeinae
http://sobralia.autrevie.com/ - Nina can't just be satisfied with
Stanhopeas - the Sobralia pages are awesome as well
http://www.orchids.org/ - OrchidMania's site - good comprehensive info about
orchids in general - read the legal disclaimer at the bottom of the main
page for a good laugh.

This is a quick extract from my Favorites - hope you enjoy them.

-Eric in SF

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
I am sure all of us have our favorite orchid-related Web sites. Care to
share yours? I assume that many of us are familiar with many such sites,
however I assume that there are some sites that you know that I don't, and

would wish I knew, if only I knew that I should know ....

Here are a few of mine (just to start out the thread, though I assume most
of you already know these):
http://www.orchidlady.com
http://www.orchidspecies.com
http://orchidweb.org/orchids/ -- especially the Orchids A-Z part
http://www.orchids.com/ -- I must admit that I have never bought anything
from this site yet, but I love going there from time since I think it is

the
best Web site for browsing through the catalogue and putting everything

that
appeals in the shopping cart, and thinking how much money I can save by

not
buying everything that I put in the cart :-)
http://www.bedfordorchids.com/ -- I especially enjoyed some of the
informational articles such as the ones on Yellow Phalaenopsis Breeding

Suggested Rules for this game:
(1) Try not to be too shameless, avoid posting your own site (if someone
else posted your site, wouldn't that be better)
(2) A site isn't a favorite if you have been there only once and don't
intend to go back over and over again
(3) There is no rule 3. :-)
(3a) If you want to ignore these rules, I can't stop you. I am letting go

of
the sole proprietorship over this thread as soon as I hit the Send button.
It's going to lead to tangents, isn't it? I can see it already: from
'favorite sites' to 'HTML coding' to 'code of conduct' to 'conductors' to
'runaway trains' to 'model trains' to 'training supermodels'. Noooooo!

Best,
Joanna

Old 12-02-2004, 11:25 PM
J Fortuna

Eric,
Thank you so much! I really look forward to exploring these links -- started
already but there is too much info to take in at once. Your links were
closest to the kinds of links I was hoping to get, but I really appreciated
everyone else's links as well, and I hope others did, too. If anyone else
has any more links (especially more of such "just great places to read and
learn about orchids"), please feel free to continue providing them. If you
don't see any posts from me for a while, I probably lost track of time and
forgot to eat and sleep while exploring all these wonderful links.
Best,
Joanna

Old 13-02-2004, 12:05 AM
J Fortuna

"K Barrett" wrote in message
http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/OSTA.html

Kathy,
I just read your 2002 article on Multiflora Phals at the first URL you
provided, and I enjoyed it quite a bit -- I just wish all the links from it
still worked, but some still do). You persuaded me to finally put
Christenson's "Phalaenopsis, A Monograph" on my wishlist (and thus in an
email to my husband :-) -- I had heard about it before but had just assumed
that since the guy was a taxonomist, the book would be too dry and technical
for me. From your article though I gather that it is worth getting.
Thank you!
Joanna

Old 13-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Eric Hunt

Joanna,

Glad to be of help!

-Eric in SF

Old 13-02-2004, 01:44 PM
molli

www.orchidexchange.com (you just can't go wrong with Al's plants!)
www.firstrays.com
www.bigleaforchids.com
www.andysorchids.com
www.Oakhillgardens.com
www.goldcountryorchids.com

These are my top 6 for internet shopping.

--
Hugs,
Molli