Old 14-02-2004, 04:43 AM
Claude

Default How to induce flowering on Oncidium?

Hello Again!

This is my first Oncidium with pseudobulbs!
How do you induce flowering on a Oncidium Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance'
AM/AOS.

Mine has 4 bulbs, pretty big about 4 inch height by 3
inch large and 2 inch think.
Leaves have between 8 to 14 inches long.
The bulbs are hard, smooth, no wrinkle!
No aerial roots visible. It`s in a bark mix in a 8 inches diameter plastic
green pot.
How often do you water it? I have heard that stopping watering could induce
spiking?

I put it on a windowsill facing EST.
What should I do! Is it time to repot in S/H or should I wait?
How to induce blooming?

Thanks

Claude

Old 14-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Ray

Now, Claude. You've got to start remembering advice you've already
received! This is certainly not the first time you've asked if it's "OK to
move it into S/H now," and the advice (from not just me, either) has been
"if it is forming new growths."

I find Sharry Baby to be a heavy feeder and needs a lot of water when it is
in active growth in the spring, summer and early fall, but I only water them
in the winter when I see signs of shriveling. They have fine roots and thin
leaves, which implies that they are "fast pumpers" of water - lots of root
surface area to absorb water, lots of leaf surface area to dump it again,
but that's more in the active growth period, too, as it's all part of the
process of absorbing energy and nutrients and making food for itself.

I do nothing to force mine - 'Sweet Fragrance', 'Everlasting', or
"Tricolor' - and they all bloom off and on in the summer-to-fall time period

.. . . . . . . . . . .
s.com...

Old 15-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Reka

"Ray" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I do nothing to force mine - 'Sweet Fragrance', 'Everlasting', or
"Tricolor' - and they all bloom off and on in the summer-to-fall time

period

Mine, too, which means it blooms on every second growth, since it makes two
new growths at least every year. Is there no way to get it to bloom on
every growth? (I know, I sound greedy and impatient!)
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 15-02-2004, 06:00 PM
molli

Hmm... my Sharry Baby must be confused. I got it in bloom in Sept, brought
it home, enjoyed the blooms, and it now has another spike(!) which I hope
will be open in time for the show. Not that I'm complaining mind you, but
its definitely doing this out of season.

--
Hugs,
Molli

Old 15-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Ray

I get about two growth a year too, usually maturing in early summer and mid
fall, and the both typically spike. How much are you feeding it?

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 15-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Reka

I'm a lazy fertilizer, I admit. It gets balanced fert about every 3-4
weeks.
--

"Ray" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I get about two growth a year too, usually maturing in early summer and

mid
fall, and the both typically spike. How much are you feeding it?

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 15-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Ray

I feed at every watering - this time a year about every 5-7 days if it's
sunny, more often in the summer.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 15-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Lalam

Hi

Those need pretty high light to induce flowering... This is easily
done in a greenhouse but can be more problematic on a windowsill. Try
to give it full sun in winter, and part-shade during the summer (if
possible outside).

Laurence

Other backyard project on the 4th was Oncidium flexorum K Barrett Orchids 19 06-07-2003 03:44 PM
Oncidium flexorum Paulo Orchids 19 04-07-2003 05:56 PM
Oncidium and Repotting Paulo Orchids 3 15-05-2003 12:56 AM
Oncidium Paulo Orchids 2 15-04-2003 11:32 AM
Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby Wink Orchids 13 13-03-2003 12:45 AM