Old 17-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Larry Dighera

Default Epidendrum anisatum

I'm having a difficult time finding healthy Epidendrum anisatum
plants. The first on I purchased from Woodstream was a little puny,
developed a scale infestation, and is on its last legs. So I ordered
one from Countryside.

Bill shipped two mostly dead plants in place of the one I had ordered
hoping that doubling the quantity would make up for the mostly dead
quality plants I received. If I were him, I'd have been happy to get
these out of my greenhouse too.

I'm going to order from The Orchid Connection next, however they're
sold out at this time.

What is the trick to growing this species?

Is anyone able to provide contact information for a vendor with good
Epidendrum anisatum plants?

There are pictures he

http://www.woodstreamorchids.com/epianis1.html
http://www.orchidconnection.com/epi_anisatum.htm
http://www.orchidspecies.com/orphotdir/epianisatum.jpg

Unfortunately, the pictures in the first two links do not match the
one in the last link. Which is correct?

Does anyone grow this species successfully?

Help!

Old 17-02-2004, 07:38 PM
Rob Halgren

Larry Dighera wrote:

Bill shipped two mostly dead plants in place of the one I had ordered
hoping that doubling the quantity would make up for the mostly dead
quality plants I received. If I were him, I'd have been happy to get
these out of my greenhouse too.

*grin* He should have sent you a dozen, then... You want some
mostly dead plants of other genera? I can set you up.

I'm going to order from The Orchid Connection next, however they're
sold out at this time.

What is the trick to growing this species?

I found it in an inventory of Bolivian orchids (but only a citation,
not the full description - La Llave & Lex.). But the only information I
have is that it grows in Bolivia. Along with a few hundred other
epidendrum species (most of which have habitat information). See
http://www.senckenberg.uni-frankfurt.de/odes/03-04.pdf

Jay's orchidspecies.com lists it as from Mexico at 2300m. That
would indicate intermediate temperatures, maybe on the cool side, I
think. Since Bolivia and Mexico are fairly far apart, this is either a
pretty adaptable species or somebody is confused. Or both... I'd bet
if you got a big enough plant to start with that it would grow just fine.

It looks cute though. Just from looking at it, it looks closely
allied to a plant I have labelled Epi. diffusum. Mine doesn't even
remotely match the picture that Jay has though... So who knows what
mine is. If E. anisatum is related, then mine grows great at dead on
intermediate temperatures, medium (Paph) light, and a fairly moist
potting mix. It is right in with my bigger paphs, and gets treated
identically. Don't know if that helps or not.

Is anyone able to provide contact information for a vendor with good
Epidendrum anisatum plants?

Can't help you there, but if you find a good vendor, let us
know. The name indicates that it smells like licorice, which would be a
nice addition to my basement.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 17-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:29:08 -0500, Rob Halgren
wrote in Message-Id:
:

Larry Dighera wrote:

Bill shipped two mostly dead plants in place of the one I had ordered
hoping that doubling the quantity would make up for the mostly dead
quality plants I received. If I were him, I'd have been happy to get
these out of my greenhouse too.

*grin* He should have sent you a dozen, then... You want some
mostly dead plants of other genera? I can set you up.

Thanks a lot Rob, but I'm quite capable of producing my own. :-)

I'm going to order from The Orchid Connection next, however they're
sold out at this time.

What is the trick to growing this species?

I found it in an inventory of Bolivian orchids (but only a citation,
not the full description - La Llave & Lex.). But the only information I
have is that it grows in Bolivia. Along with a few hundred other
epidendrum species (most of which have habitat information). See
http://www.senckenberg.uni-frankfurt.de/odes/03-04.pdf

Thank you for the link.

Jay's orchidspecies.com lists it as from Mexico at 2300m. That
would indicate intermediate temperatures, maybe on the cool side, I
think. Since Bolivia and Mexico are fairly far apart, this is either a
pretty adaptable species or somebody is confused. Or both...

Likely the latter.

I'd bet
if you got a big enough plant to start with that it would grow just fine.

That's what I'm thinking too. Actually, Woodstream's plant was large
enough to survive, but the insect infestation seems to have taken its
toll. I'd order another from Woodstream, but they're out of stock at
this time too.

It looks cute though. Just from looking at it, it looks closely
allied to a plant I have labelled Epi. diffusum. Mine doesn't even
remotely match the picture that Jay has though... So who knows what
mine is. If E. anisatum is related, then mine grows great at dead on
intermediate temperatures, medium (Paph) light, and a fairly moist
potting mix. It is right in with my bigger paphs, and gets treated
identically. Don't know if that helps or not.

Is anyone able to provide contact information for a vendor with good
Epidendrum anisatum plants?

Can't help you there, but if you find a good vendor, let us
know. The name indicates that it smells like licorice, which would be a
nice addition to my basement.

Rob

The fragrance is what I'm after too. I'd like to see if I can
introduce it into the reed-stem Epidendrums I'm attempting to breed.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, and I'll post the source if I find
one.

Old 18-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Eric Hunt

Larry,

If you ignore color and look at the structure of the lip, they all three
appear to my eyes to be the same species.

They have the same three-lobed lip, where the middle, downward pointing lobe
has three parallel "hills" running down them.

Anyone with more botanical training taken a look at this?

-Eric in SF

Old 18-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:36:08 -0800, "Eric Hunt"
wrote in Message-Id: :

Larry,

If you ignore color and look at the structure of the lip, they all three
appear to my eyes to be the same species.

Right. I noticed that.

They have the same three-lobed lip, where the middle, downward pointing lobe
has three parallel "hills" running down them.

Anyone with more botanical training taken a look at this?

Have you a clue where I might purchase a decent plant? I mentioned
Epidendrum anisatum to George Norris, but his failure to comment on it
leads me to believe, that his suppliers don't have any.

-Eric in SF

.. .

Old 18-02-2004, 03:12 PM
wendy7

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .

Have you a clue where I might purchase a decent plant?

Larry, You could try Sandro Cusi of Orquideas Rio Verde
(In my opinion, he is the "Andy" of Mexico)
Unfortunately his website is down but you could give him a ring,

info here http://www.orchids.org/donors/donors/33.htm
Of course his plants are bare root but he is always at our shows &
brings special orders.
Cheers Wendy

Old 18-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:08:42 -0800, "wendy7"
wrote in Message-Id: _dLYb.2590$C21.1067@fed1read07:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .

Have you a clue where I might purchase a decent plant?

Larry, You could try Sandro Cusi of Orquideas Rio Verde
(In my opinion, he is the "Andy" of Mexico)
Unfortunately his website is down but you could give him a ring,

info here http://www.orchids.org/donors/donors/33.htm
Of course his plants are bare root but he is always at our shows &
brings special orders.
Cheers Wendy

Many thanks, Wendy.

I'm trying to send them a fax by dialing 011 52 726 65253, but I get a
recording stating the number cannot be reached as dialed. The AT&T
international operator says I need 10 numbers after the '52.'
Apparently that change went into effect about 2 years ago.

Have you got any ideas on how I might reach them?

Old 18-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Reka

"Larry Dighera" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

Try Tel: 52 716 26 65252 Fax: 52 716 26 65253
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 18-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:32:40 +0100, "Reka"
wrote in Message-Id: :

[...]

That worked fine. Thank you.

Where did you locate those phone numbers. I searched the web for
about half an hour, found a lot of different numbers none of which was
correct.

Old 18-02-2004, 09:15 PM
wendy7

Strange too his website being down but he is on the vendors list for the
Santa Barbara
Show next month.
Will look further & let you know.
Cheers Wendy

Old 18-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Reka

wrote in Message-Id: :

I'm trying to send them a fax by dialing 011 52 726 65253, but I get a
recording stating the number cannot be reached as dialed. The AT&T
international operator says I need 10 numbers after the '52.'
Apparently that change went into effect about 2 years ago.

Have you got any ideas on how I might reach them?

Try Tel: 52 716 26 65252 Fax: 52 716 26 65253

That worked fine. Thank you.

Where did you locate those phone numbers. I searched the web for
about half an hour, found a lot of different numbers none of which was
correct.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...io+Verde+te l
Look at the first entry. The website doesn't come up, but in the Google
summary sentence, voilą!...the numbers.