Old 27-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Ray

Default How long for phal to branch-spike, if it will?

Might be a few weeks, might be next year. Might not branch at all. It's
not a universal constant.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Joe S" wrote in message
After trimming a done-bloomed spike in hopes of it sending out a branch

from the
spike, how long until it just ain't gonna happen and you might as well cut

the
spike the rest of the way?

Joe

Old 27-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:01:32 GMT, Joe S
wrote:

After trimming a done-bloomed spike in hopes of it sending out a branch from the
spike, how long until it just ain't gonna happen and you might as well cut the
spike the rest of the way?

Joe

Only to know for sure is when the spike turns brown and dies
back... it is never going to branch. Just leave it alone if you
want branches. It will decide when it is ready. Or dry off.

SuE
Old 02-03-2004, 03:43 AM
Joe S

Ray wrote:

Might be a few weeks, might be next year. Might not branch at all. It's
not a universal constant.

Well, a very funny thing (to me) happened...on Saturday I looked up and the
darned thing had a little branch about 1/16" coming out of the old spike. It's
gotten a tad bigger over the last couple of days, and it appears my wish has
been granted.

How about that for timing? Could it be a "sign"?

Joe

Old 02-03-2004, 12:59 PM
Ray

See that? The key to successful orchid growing is to alternate between
ignoring the suckers and obsessing over them.

During the obsessive stage, they get uppity and are like a little kid that
won't eat their peas. So you ignore them and they finally give up and
respond. (Which, of course, throws us back into the obsessive stage)

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 02-03-2004, 02:10 PM
J Fortuna

Joe,
Your experience is similar to mine: I had a Phal put out a spike right after
I complained that it wasn't spiking. Who said they aren't listening to us,
and occasionally granting our wishes? :-)
Joanna

Old 02-03-2004, 09:33 PM
tbell

I like that, Ray. Here, I thought I was a funny kind of bipolar, but now
I understand that it's all triggered by my orchids.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

From: "Ray"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 05:41:57 -0500
Subject: How long for phal to branch-spike, if it will?

See that? The key to successful orchid growing is to alternate between
ignoring the suckers and obsessing over them.

During the obsessive stage, they get uppity and are like a little kid that
won't eat their peas. So you ignore them and they finally give up and
respond. (Which, of course, throws us back into the obsessive stage)

. . . . . . . . . . .

From: "Ray"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 05:41:57 -0500

"Joe S" wrote in message
Ray wrote:

Might be a few weeks, might be next year. Might not branch at all.

It's
not a universal constant.

Well, a very funny thing (to me) happened...on Saturday I looked up and

the
darned thing had a little branch about 1/16" coming out of the old spike.

It's
gotten a tad bigger over the last couple of days, and it appears my wish

has
been granted.

How about that for timing? Could it be a "sign"?

Joe

A long branch - what to do with it [email protected] Bonsai 7 11-05-2007 11:00 PM
to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
Phal spike flexibility David Ward Orchids 2 10-08-2003 05:32 PM
Cutting Phal. spike White Monkey Orchids 3 27-07-2003 04:12 PM