Old 28-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Tanya

Default how soon to feed after repotting?

hello,
how long should one wait before feeding phals after they've been
repotted?
(they have a few roots and are in sphagnum moss)
thank you
p.s. or should i give the fertilizer (hydroponic) as a foliar spray?

Old 28-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Ray

As the plants have few roots, I'd wait until the wounds heal and they start
to grow new ones.

Forget the foliar spray - unless you're going to do so at night, which will
lead you down the crown-rot path, it will do nothing for the plant but make
the leaves dull.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 29-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Tanya

thank you, Ray
just a clarification: aside from the 2 tonight, the other 3 were potted with
essentially the same number of viable roots as when i took them out of their
old pots.
the very few roots removed would not have been functioning (i don't think as
they were dark / black) and very easy to remove from the internal wire.
i believe that the rootChallanged condition was caused by a serious lack of
nutrients.
thereFore, in general, when is it deemed best to start feeding phals following
repotting them?

the 2 i did tonight both ended up w/ 3 or 4 healthy roots. the black ones -- i
could not even keep the internal wires nomenclature? b/c they broke.
in this case i assume that i wait until new root growth (there are no wounds)
thanks very much for replying and thank you in advance!
sincerely
Tanya

and P.S.: i had spiced them up w/ cinnamon (last year) -- perhaps as noted
above in another post this contributed to the sparse roots?

Ray wrote:

As the plants have few roots, I'd wait until the wounds heal and they start
to grow new ones.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 29-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Ray

Black, dead roots occurs from lack of oxygen and rotting, not lack of
nutrition. The dark brown/black coloration, if I remember correctly - is
caused by phenols released by the plant in the presence of stress. It is
intended to fend off any fungus, bacteria or other attacking entity, such as
other plants' roots, but is toxic to the plant's own roots as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about feeding right after repotting. Give the
plant a week or two of moisture only and then resume normal feeding. It
won't hurt the plant to wait, and it does allow even the rotted root base to
heal a bit.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 03-03-2004, 02:39 AM
Tanya

thanks again for replying and for the info etc...
just wonder whether 1 reason NOT to feed them initially is due to the fact that
they get food through the roots so if there is no food nearBy, the roots grow
looking for food?

thanks
sincerely
Tanya

Old 03-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Ray

I believe the concept is related more to letting the wounds heal than
spawning the rapid growth of roots - my guess is that they'll grow anyway.

FWIW, I water them with fertilizer right from the moment they are potted up,
feeling it is neither necessary or to be avoided - it's just easier to treat
all the plants the same.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 04-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Jimmyd

I agree with Ray. I just stick to my regular Fert-Fert-Fert-Water schedule
even if they have been repotted. I have had no problems at all.

Paula

Old 05-03-2004, 01:24 AM
Tanya

Ray and Jimmyd
i also agree wholeheartedly with Ray also
my theory fell F.L.A.T. since if light was lacking, leaves *should* grow seeking
out more light --- AND THEY DON'T
not sure still whether inflorescence (actual flowers) are a cry-for-help (to
preserve the genus / species sci) or a thank you?
thanks,
sincerely
Tanya