Old 12-03-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Repotting time

I've come to the conclusion that more growth characteristics need to
be given for orchids. Waah! The cattleya hybrids that are now being
repotted range in growth from 360 degree fan with horizontal leaves,
to nice level pseudobulbs that the leaves grow straight up (my
favorites now). Maybe in the past I waited too long to stake the
plants, but the ones that like the horizontal leaves hate being
staked. The canes were weaker after being staked and have a tendancy
to try and twist, which causes them to bend down. Is there a better
technique than a stake and wire tie?

One of my orchids, the tag only identifies it as 'Spring Tide', has
nice upright growth, divides freely, and blooms reliably. Don't have
a clue as to the parentage, none of the searches have netted anything.
I've assumed Cattleya something. It is monofoliate, blooms twice a
year, spring and autumn, the blooms are sort dusty pink color (mauve
sounds more sophisticated). Will post pics when it blooms this time.
If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.

The person at the orchid society said he'd bought the original plant
roughly 40 years ago in Hawaii (closer to 45 or 50 years). This
orchid is perfect for beginners. I've had it 4 or 5 years, and potted
it up twice. Last summer the pot it was in fell and broke, I divided
the plant into 4 pots, all had leading growth, and the sheathes on the
plant continued to develop and bloom (after the unfortunate accident),
the new growth also had blooms. It never missed a beat. Today I
probably would not buy without more information on the tag, but I was
a real novice then and tags didn't seem as important. On the other
hand, most of my original orchids were mysteries, have survived (the
dog, the moves, my care) and bloomed the same lovely blooms that made
me buy them in the first place.

The potting is going well. The mix is prepared at night after I
return from the hospital visiting Mom, I have time to repot 4 or 5
plants in the morning before returning to the hospital. DH has been
dogging me, asking me at this rate whether I'll be finished by the new
millenium. On a break right now, enough mix for one more orchid, then
time to leave for the day.

Have a nice day.

Nancy
Old 13-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Reka

Brassocattleya Springtide is((Brassavola digbyana x Cattleya warscewiczii) x
Cattleya mossiae). Digbyana is white to green with frills, warscewiczii is
pink, mossiae also pink.
Laeliocattleya Springtide is a mix of L. purpurata(white with dark purple
lip), and the Cattleyas dowiana(white to yellow with a huge, frilled purple
and brown lip), warneri(pink), warscewiczii(pink), lueddemanniana(pink),
bicolor(green to brown with a pink lip) and eldorado(white to pink with a
pink and yellow lip). It has a lot of dowiana and warscewczii in it.
Someone with Wildcatt can tell you the exact proportions. (Sue?)
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...

One of my orchids, the tag only identifies it as 'Spring Tide', has
nice upright growth, divides freely, and blooms reliably. Don't have
a clue as to the parentage, none of the searches have netted anything.
I've assumed Cattleya something. It is monofoliate, blooms twice a
year, spring and autumn, the blooms are sort dusty pink color (mauve
sounds more sophisticated). Will post pics when it blooms this time.
If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.

---

Old 13-03-2004, 03:11 PM

"Reka" wrote in message ...
Brassocattleya Springtide is((Brassavola digbyana x Cattleya warscewiczii) x
Cattleya mossiae). Digbyana is white to green with frills, warscewiczii is
pink, mossiae also pink.
Laeliocattleya Springtide is a mix of L. purpurata(white with dark purple
lip), and the Cattleyas dowiana(white to yellow with a huge, frilled purple
and brown lip), warneri(pink), warscewiczii(pink), lueddemanniana(pink),
bicolor(green to brown with a pink lip) and eldorado(white to pink with a
pink and yellow lip). It has a lot of dowiana and warscewczii in it.
Someone with Wildcatt can tell you the exact proportions. (Sue?)
--
Reka

Thank you very much. Will post pics when it is blooming, probably
May around Mother's Day in the U.S. It has done so well for me in the
past, one of my first orchids and as told before, a real confidence
booster.

Bye, Nancy

Old 13-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Reka

You're very welcome. And in case you need to look up parentage or the hybrid
name of a specific cross yourself sometime, it's at
http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/regis...n_orchids.asp. We are looking
forward to pictures on ABPO!
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...

Old 13-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Reka

You're very welcome. And in case you need to look up parentage or the hybrid
name of a specific cross yourself sometime, it's at
http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/regis...n_orchids.asp. We are looking
forward to pictures on ABPO!
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
"Reka" wrote in message

[...]

I'm new here, I may be asking for help from time to time unicron85 United Kingdom 21 08-04-2014 11:15 PM
dianna condemns, then Jeff recently comes a resident pavement from time to time Kaye's matrix Ikram Jbilou Dawood Ponds 0 18-11-2007 03:12 PM
there Petra will follow the request, and if Madeleine not sails it too, the suffering will destroy from time to time the deaf cottage Josef P. Madren Ponds 0 14-11-2007 05:36 AM
repotting. Buridan Bonsai 0 15-02-2003 09:03 PM
Repotting Phalanopsis Greg Orchids 5 26-01-2003 04:09 AM