Old 15-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Steve Wolfe

Default Timer for metal halide

Can anyone provide guidance on how large a timer I need for a 400W
metal halide grow lamp? The vendor suggested a 15 amp grounded
outlet, the stated he likes 20 amps ones. However, I recently ran
across some nice, grounded 10 amp, outdoor timers ( Intermatic . On
the side they list capcaity as 1200 amps R Resistive or 1200 amps
Tungsten. I know that Metal halides are different, but do I really
need a 15 amp timer or will these 10 amp ones work?

Years ago, when I had the money to spend on things like this, I had two
400-watt halides over a large sal****er aquarium (the corals LOVED it). I
don't recall the brand, but I bought a timer that was designed for
high-draw inductive loads. A couple of years later, I sold off the
aquarium, and the timer was still working just fine.

steve

Old 16-03-2004, 11:30 PM
NOOK

I enjoyed reading all the responses to this thread. Everybody had some
good input on this one.
And the simple answer to your question of a 10 amp timer is:...
Yes you can use it.
And the long answer is:....
DON'T DO IT!!
It will work for a while, but it is a timer bomb! (pun)
Might be in a month, might be in 2 years. If you are lucky it will
just stop working. If you are unlucky it will fire up and burn like a
roman candle! (I have seen digital, analog, and mechanical timers all
burn up) Intermatic makes some very good timers, but the one you are
talking about is not top quality for what you want it to do.
Geir is right to mount on tile.
Beecrofter is right, make sure to use a 3 prong timer and if avil a
GFCI outlet.
Salty is right, I think you will find once a 400 watt MH is up to
full inten. it will pull anywhere from 3.6 to about 5 amps (varys from
1 ballist to another , my MHs run 4 to 4.5 for a 400 watt MH fixture)
The start up can pull 8 amps or more for a brief period.
good rule of thumb is 80% of rating. If you have a 100 amp breaker do
not put more than 80 amp load on that circuit.(same applies to the
wire as well as the outlet)
Remember to be aware that the circuit you are putting this light on
may feed other parts of your house. (check it out and total it all up
to make sure)
Also you may want to think about converting to 220 volt. The ballist
should have taps on it for other voltages. 220 volt will save you at
least one third of your operating cost of the fixture.
Then you need to buy those 220 volt timers for window air
conditioners. Or.. invest in 110 volt controled contactors.
Your timer will last a lot longer and the contactors do not burn up
near as easy as a timer with a heavy load on it.
Because of the loads I run in my rooms, I don't evan take chances with
outlets. Most all my lights, fans, heaters, and humidifiers are all
hard wired into power center enclosed steel boxes that contain the
timers and contactors and all hook up points outside of the high
humidity areas.

In short... I would use the 20 amp timer.

HAPPYNESS TO ALL
NOOK

On 14 Mar 2004 11:43:40 -0800, (Mike) wrote:

Can anyone provide guidance on how large a timer I need for a 400W
metal halide grow lamp? The vendor suggested a 15 amp grounded
outlet, the stated he likes 20 amps ones. However, I recently ran
across some nice, grounded 10 amp, outdoor timers ( Intermatic . On
the side they list capcaity as 1200 amps R Resistive or 1200 amps
Tungsten. I know that Metal halides are different, but do I really
need a 15 amp timer or will these 10 amp ones work?

Thanks
Mike

Old 19-03-2004, 03:49 AM
mg

I've used just a simple 2-prong lamp timer. I'm not recommending it,
just telling you what I did. Worked great. Your mileage may vary.

Old 28-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Mike

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback.
In short, my take is- Cheap will be O?K for a while- Could be a short
while and could be a bad outcome when it goes. Spend more get the
better timer.

Thanks again.

Timer for metal halide Mike Gardening 24 28-03-2004 04:32 PM
Timer for metal halide Mike Gardening 0 14-03-2004 09:32 PM
Timer for metal halide Mike Orchids 1 14-03-2004 08:08 PM
Timer for metal halide Mike Orchids 1 14-03-2004 08:02 PM
Metal Halide owners ddaquaria Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:11 AM