Old 26-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Monica Nordskog

Default Newbie..

I have recently started to collect orchids, but I need some advice on how to
care for them in the best way. The stores I have bought them at, haven't
cared for them any nice, so they are Losing flowers before they should I
think... how can I stop that?

monica

Old 26-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Ray

Monica,

Without knowing what type of orchid we're talking about, it's hard to give a
reasonable answer. Can you at least describe the plants?

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 26-03-2004, 02:36 PM
PhalGuy

Hello Monica!

Welcome in our group! but be aware....... Orchid is a very serious
addiction!!!!
:-)

It is really hard to give advice when we don`t know what kind of orchid you
have. Could you post a picture on Alt.Binaries.Pictures.orchids or describe
the plant?

Again, welcome!

Claude

Old 26-03-2004, 02:42 PM
PhalGuy

Old 26-03-2004, 03:04 PM
wendy7

Welcome Monica,
This is a very good group to get culture information etc.,
but we need names? Look for tags or labels that should be in the pot.
If not then maybe you can describe or take pictures & post to a.b.p.o (Not
Here),
or a web page.
Also, are you growing indoors, windowsill, or outside?
Orchids will lose their flowers in the normal process but will bloom again
in
their next season. (Once or twice a year)
You have started off just like I did, aquired a few plants then
proceeded
to find out their culture. I killed my first two by overwatering!
Keep in touch & ask questions.
Good luck.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 26-03-2004, 07:07 PM
GaWd

Adding to what others have told you about letting us in on the types of
orchids, it is also common for newly purchased orchids to lose blossoms and
blooms when acclimating to the microclimate in your home or growing area.

Sam

Old 26-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Monica Nordskog

Hello!
Thanks for all the answers! The orchids I bought is a Milton (?) with quite
large purple-reddish flowers, and a phal. with smaller white flowers... I am
sorry that I don't have the specific names...

Monica

"PhalGuy" skrev i melding
s.com...

Old 26-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Monica Nordskog

Old 27-03-2004, 12:12 AM
J Fortuna

Monica,
Welcome!
Here is some information to start with:

For the Phal, here is a culture sheet:
http://www.orchidweb.org/orchids/cul...nner/phals.pdf
Phals are among the most common beginner's orchids.
A few tips and tricks with Phals:
-- you need enough light for them to flower, but not too much (so for
example: an Eastern windowsill would likely be a perfect place, a northern
window is likely too little light unless you supplement it with artificial
light, but a southern window may be too much unless you have a sheer curtain
or some shade)
-- do not water this orchid too frequently, and it should not be in standing
water (more Phals die from overwatering than underwatering).
-- However, when you water use lots of water, just make sure to remove the
excess water from the saucer or in some other way ensure that the end result
is that the roots are not in standing water after the watering is done.
-- What type of media is this Phal in (bark, moss, semi-hydro,?), depending
on the type of media you would determine in a different way when the plant
needs watering. For example: in moss you touch the surface, and if it feels
dry, water -- if there is any doubt wait another day. If you have media that
is not moss, let us know what your orchid is growing in, and someone here
will advise you how to determine how often to water. There is no
one-rule-that-fits-all in terms of how often to water because this depends
on how often your plant dries out in your environment, so you will have to
figure that out, but we can give you advice on how to figure it out.
-- Also, it is better to water your plants in the mornings rather than the
evenings because if there is any water on the crown (center of leaves) at
night, there is a higher risk of fungus (however I have watered in the
evening as well at times, and just made sure that either no water gets on
the leaves and the crown, or wipe off the water from the leaves with a paper
towel).
-- Phals are warm growing plants, so they are fine in the same temperatures
as most of us tend to have in our homes. If you want to get your Phal to
rebloom having a difference of 10 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit between night and
day temperatures is important. To ensure this, I tend to open my window a
bit when the night time temps are around 55-60 Fahrenheit (but not below
that).
-- Humidity in most homes is usually enough for Phal hybrids, although if
you have really dry air you may consider getting a humidifier for your own
comfort as well as the orchids.
-- use a bit of plant food with every watering or every other watering,
follow instructions on plant food fertilizer, get an all purpose fertilizer
that is not urea-based (when in doubt, ask whether this fertilizer is safe
to use with orchids -- one example is Dyna-Gro 7-9-5, but there are many
other fertilizers that could be used)
-- You will probably be surprised by how long the Phal blooms (many Phals
bloom two months, and some bloom 6 months out of 12, and then there are some
that are in bloom longer :-)
-- others please fill in if I have left out anything important, or if you
disagree with anything I said. I am not an expert. I have been growing Phals
for only 3 years. But they seem to be doing well in my care, so I must be
doing some things right :-)
-- If any of this is confusing or complex, please let us know and ask more
specific questions. Phals really are not all that complex, and they can
withstand quite a bit of accidental abuse or benign neglect.

For the Miltonia (at least I am assuming that your Milton is a Miltonia or
Mitoniopsis), here is the culture sheet:
http://www.orchidweb.org/orchids/culture/miltonia.pdf
Miltonias unfortunately are a bit trickier. The main problem you will
probably encounter with the Miltonia is how to keep the temperatures cool
enough for this plant throughout the year. This is a cool to intermediate
growing plant, and thus not easy to take care of in a home, which is usually
kept warmer. I do not know more about Miltonias because I don't have any --
and I don't have any Milts because I like to keep my home warm and don't
have a cool place. Others in this group may give you more advice on this.

Best,
Joanna

Old 27-03-2004, 12:42 AM
J Fortuna

Monica,

In answer to the question of how to stop the loosing of flowers. Try to
improve the conditions that your orchids are in as much as you can: increase
humidity, put them in a spot that seems closest to the environment that kind
of orchid prefers (see culture sheets that I posted in another reply in this
thread), do not water the orchids too frequently, etc. However, even with
those changes, if your environment is very different from the environment
that the orchids were grown in before, the change in location unfortunately
can cause loss of flowers and buds. Do not count on being able to save this
blooming season's flowers, rather expect to enjoy the plant in the next
blooming season. In the meantime, continue to care for the orchid plant as
best as you can, following the culture sheet for that kind of orchid and
advice you get from this group. Orchids can be very rewarding even when they
are not in bloom. I always enjoy observing a new leaf grow, or aerial roots
(roots that grow in the air and do not necessarily grow down into the pot).
One mistake that some newbies make is to assume that an orchid plant is
unhealthy or dying when it is just loosing flowers, as long as the leaves
and the roots are healthy, the plant will be fine, and it will rebloom for
you. Most Phals bloom once a year, around the same time each year, and some
mature Phals bloom more than once a year.

Best,
Joanna

"Monica Nordskog" wrote in message
I have recently started to collect orchids, but I need some advice on how

care for them in the best way. The stores I have bought them at, haven't
cared for them any nice, so they are Losing flowers before they should I
think... how can I stop that?

monica

NEWBIE HELP: How to seed? Nick Thudick Gardening 6 01-04-2003 08:44 PM
Newbie Noela Orchids 1 31-03-2003 06:20 AM
Newbie here - Easiest to grow orchid in NW IN pagan Orchids 8 05-02-2003 04:11 PM
Newbie Q: Baby spinach Irving Kimura Edible Gardening 4 04-02-2003 02:43 AM
Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 3 26-01-2003 07:53 PM