Old 26-03-2004, 09:47 PM
David Russell Holmes

Default Dendrobium species

Howdy again RGO, thanks for all the insight for the Chicago trip... I am now
on a quest, I am looking for a source of BS Dendrobium helix and or other
large warm growing dendrobium species. If you know of anyone that may have
something, please let me know.

Thanks again
David Holmes

Old 26-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Rob Halgren

David Russell Holmes wrote:

Howdy again RGO, thanks for all the insight for the Chicago trip... I am now
on a quest, I am looking for a source of BS Dendrobium helix and or other
large warm growing dendrobium species. If you know of anyone that may have
something, please let me know.

Since you are going already... Oak Hill has a large selection of
dendrobiums. I can't really grow them myself, so I haven't really paid
attention to their offerings.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
Old 26-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Dave Sheehy

David Russell Holmes ) wrote:
: Howdy again RGO, thanks for all the insight for the Chicago trip... I am now
: on a quest, I am looking for a source of BS Dendrobium helix and or other
: large warm growing dendrobium species. If you know of anyone that may have
: something, please let me know.

I'm not sure what the 'BS' in 'BS Dendrobium helix' stands for but Andy's
Orchids carries Dendrobium helix.

Dave Sheehy

Old 26-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, David,

A very large warm growing Den. species is D. discolor (syn. broomfieldii).
I have several - one out on the patio (S. Florida) that is in spike at the
moment. It is at least 6' tall, taller with the spikes. Needs a winter dry
rest, and keikis a lot. Another, smaller (but not tiny) species is
alexandrae. Very interesting flower.

Diana

Old 27-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Dave Gillingham

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:24:16 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Hi, David,

A very large warm growing Den. species is D. discolor (syn. broomfieldii).

snip
Diana

In Australia D. discolor is known as the "golden orchid". Flower
colour ranges typically from chocolate through the browns & golds to
yellow. It's the yellow variant that is known as D. discolor var.
Broomfieldii

Dave Gillingham

Old 27-03-2004, 03:37 PM
David Russell Holmes

Haha, thanks again for all your help, the BS is a lazy fingers shortcut for
blooming size... I guess Ive read too many catalogues and it has affected my
vocabulary. And by the way Diana, your not interested in trading/selling one
of your Den. discolor huh? haha

Thanks again,
David Holmes

Old 27-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Diana Kulaga

It's the yellow variant that is known as D. discolor var.
Broomfieldii

Right you are, Dave! My plants have the yellow flower, with some white at
the throat. Love this variety; it is very floriferous.

Diana

Old 27-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

David,

I know all about "BS" orchids, LOL. Unfortunately, the letters have
different connotations, depending on the vendor. When purchasing from some,
BS means blooming size. When dealing with certain others, it means "pure
BS"!

Forgot to mention Den. anosmum (superbum), which I acquired recently and is
in bloom now. It's a fabulous plant; I can't really describe the
fragrance, unless maybe Kool-Ade powder??? Very sweet. It also grows quite
large; mine has 14 canes plus a bunch of keikis. The canes are about 3 1/2
feet long. It is pendulous, is mounted on a tiny piece of tree fern, likes
shady conditions, gets a winter dry rest and then lots of food and water
during the growth season.

With any luck at all, I'll get some pictures over to abpo tomorrow. Way
behind on picture posting.

Diana

Old 28-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Dave Gillingham

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:27:48 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

It's the yellow variant that is known as D. discolor var.

Broomfieldii

Right you are, Dave! My plants have the yellow flower, with some white at
the throat. Love this variety; it is very floriferous.

Diana

I only acquired my first plant about 6 months ago, with our flowering
season about August/September, so I'm still waitng. In the interim
the dendrobium beetles took out an excellent lead shoot :-((. I hope
to be able to echo your commendations in five months.

Dave Gillingham

Old 29-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Dave Sheehy

David Russell Holmes ) wrote:
: Haha, thanks again for all your help, the BS is a lazy fingers shortcut for
: blooming size... I guess Ive read too many catalogues and it has affected my
: vocabulary.

I should've know that. I thought it looked familiar but I just couldn't
connect the dots at the time. Don't know if Andy's sells blooming size plants
of this species. I bought a small one (~5").

Dave