Old 01-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Myrmecodia

Default C walkeriana v semi alba 'Kenny'

"K Barrett" wrote in message news:CQhac.137575$_w.1597458@attbi_s53...
I have a nice C walkeriana v semi alba 'Kenny' in bloom right now and in the
back of my mind I think there was some sort of controversy about the
parentage or identification of this plant. Whether its correctly
identified, or whether the award was as plain walkeriana when it was a
semi-abla, or what.

Anyone recall that?

K Barrett

Is 'Kenny' derived from 'Pendentive?'

In volume 1 of "The Cattleyas and their Relatives," Withner suggests
that C. walkeriana 'Pendentive' may be a natural hybrid and gives a
couple of possible identities. For some reason C. obrieniana springs
to mind, but that might be wrong. 'Pendentive' has larger pseudobulbs
and flowers with better form than most C. walkeriana, and it tends to
bloom on pseudobulbs with leaves rather than aborted leafless
pseudobulbs. Often the blooming psuedobulbs have leaves that are
smaller than normal. I think it may also be tetraploid which might
explain the differences if it is not a hybrid.

If I am interpreting the automated translation correctly, this page
suggests that 'Pendentive' may be C. Angelwalker
http://www.mundoorquidofilo.hpg.ig.c...%20Gardner.doc

Old 01-04-2004, 06:52 PM
K Barrett

I don't know where 'Kenny' came from. I have a 'Pendentive' in bloom right
now too, and I can see the similarity in the lip between the two. Not so
much of an anchor shape to the lip when compared to other pictures around
the web. I do know that 'Kenny''s AOS award doesn't list it as a semi alba
form, or even an alba form. Just plain old walkeriana.

Thanks for the link to the walkeriana web page. I looked up Angelwalker and
the only picture I have from the AQ (vol7 for those of you who want to play
along) shows quite a pronounced shape to the lip, which neither of my
walkerianas have. I have pics of them both and should be able to get them
on a page for comparison, if anyone but me cares. LOL!

Thanks for the info. One of these days I goota get Withner's books.

K Barrett

"Myrmecodia" wrote in message
om...

Is 'Kenny' derived from 'Pendentive?'

In volume 1 of "The Cattleyas and their Relatives," Withner suggests
that C. walkeriana 'Pendentive' may be a natural hybrid and gives a
couple of possible identities. For some reason C. obrieniana springs
to mind, but that might be wrong. 'Pendentive' has larger pseudobulbs
and flowers with better form than most C. walkeriana, and it tends to
bloom on pseudobulbs with leaves rather than aborted leafless
pseudobulbs. Often the blooming psuedobulbs have leaves that are
smaller than normal. I think it may also be tetraploid which might
explain the differences if it is not a hybrid.

If I am interpreting the automated translation correctly, this page
suggests that 'Pendentive' may be C. Angelwalker

http://www.mundoorquidofilo.hpg.ig.c...0walkeriana%20
Gardner.doc