Old 29-03-2005, 01:42 AM
sandra

Default Question about Phal aerial roots.....

Hello Everyone,
I have a question about aerial roots.
Recently my phals have been sprouting new growth and new roots, they
seem to be growing almost every other day, but there's no sign of
aerial roots on any of them.
The tempratures in the room where I keep the orchids never go below 69
degrees at night, or above 83 degrees in the day.
The humidity during the day is about 68-76 percent, while at night it's
about 77-82 percent.
Could this be a sign that my phals are not happy in their current
surroundings....?
I also recently started growing under lights, I measured, they get
rougly about 800 foot candles of light for 9 hours every day
Thanks
Sandra

Old 29-03-2005, 05:37 AM

Hi Sandra, I think aerial roots are the plants way of looking for
water. Have you ever seen an orchid for sale (like on Ebay) usually
they're in really small pots and have aerial roots galore. They don't
have to have these to be healthy, your orchids are fine......Burr

Old 30-03-2005, 06:25 PM

Hi Sandra,

I generally see aerial roots produced only after the pot is full of
roots or the conditions in the pot are not quite right. Very high
humidity seems to sometimes confuse roots into going aerial as well. I
am happiest when everything heads straight down into the pot where the
water and nutrients are.

TZ

Aerial roots?? Claude Orchids 11 02-08-2004 11:23 PM
red tips of Phal aerial roots? J Fortuna Orchids 4 10-04-2004 12:03 PM
[IBC] techniques of aerial roots ficus Hung Le Bonsai 8 09-12-2003 06:42 PM
[IBC] more aerial roots on ficus Craig Cowing Bonsai 6 09-12-2003 01:42 PM
[IBC] aerial roots on ficus retusa Craig Cowing Bonsai 4 23-08-2003 11:02 PM