Old 12-04-2004, 01:32 AM
Joe C (free agent acct)

Default Lights for Orchids in the home, was Confusion! Help Ray!

PhalGuy,

Go to http://www.pottingsource.com and then click on links
on the bottom left and then click on "How to build an orchid shelf";
you will find details on orchid growing there, i.e. water, lights,
etc.

Hope that helps,

Joe

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:35:08 GMT, "PhalGuy"
wrote:

Hello all!

Today I bought a light meter to be able to get a measure in foot-candle of
my fluorescent.

I have read in books that Phal are best grown between 900 - 1200 feet candle
during summer time and 1300 - 1500 feet candle in winter time.

Last year, I have bought 6 20 inch long Bright Stick GE Sylvania Grow and
Show for my phal.
When I took my measurement today, at 1/2 inch from the light, I was getting
around 200 feet candle!!!!
I tried with a regular 60 watts incandescent bulb and I got 500 feet candle!

Here`s my question:

In two weeks from now, I`m changing my light fixture for 3 48 inch long 2 X
40 Watts fluorescent tube.
If I put two Daylight 40 watts tube, am I going to get the necessary feet
candle for my plants?
Would it be better if I put one ColdWhite and 1 WarmLight ?

I am so confused! I just want my plants to be happy and to finally spike!

thanks

Claude

Old 12-04-2004, 04:02 AM
PhalGuy

Thank you very much for this link!

Claude

Old 12-04-2004, 12:32 PM
dusty

"PhalGuy" wrote in
s.com:

Thank you very much for this link!

Claude

"Joe C (free agent acct)" wrote in message
| PhalGuy,
|
| Go to http://www.pottingsource.com and then click on links
| on the bottom left and then click on "How to build an orchid shelf";
| you will find details on orchid growing there, i.e. water, lights,
| etc.
|
| Hope that helps,
|
| Joe
|

| On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:35:08 GMT, "PhalGuy"
| wrote:
|
| Hello all!
|
| Today I bought a light meter to be able to get a measure in
| foot-candle
of
| my fluorescent.
|
| I have read in books that Phal are best grown between 900 - 1200
| feet
candle
| during summer time and 1300 - 1500 feet candle in winter time.
|
| Last year, I have bought 6 20 inch long Bright Stick GE Sylvania
| Grow and Show for my phal.
| When I took my measurement today, at 1/2 inch from the light, I was
getting
| around 200 feet candle!!!!
| I tried with a regular 60 watts incandescent bulb and I got 500 feet
candle!

| Here`s my question:
|
| In two weeks from now, I`m changing my light fixture for 3 48 inch
| long 2
| 40 Watts fluorescent tube.
| If I put two Daylight 40 watts tube, am I going to get the necessary
| feet candle for my plants?
| Would it be better if I put one ColdWhite and 1 WarmLight ?
|
| I am so confused! I just want my plants to be happy and to finally
| spike!
|
| thanks
|
| Claude

Looks expensive.
However if you don't need pretty and you like to build things you can
easily modify one of these shelves like I did.

http://www.strongtie.com/diy/projects.html

I made the basic unit out of 2x4s and 8 strong tie corner connectors and
then added shelves where I needed them.
later

Gardening under lights--lamp confusion Phisherman[_1_] Gardening 2 19-04-2008 01:30 PM
Confusion! Help Ray! PhalGuy Orchids 22 12-04-2004 12:32 PM
Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK? Bill Beam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 15-02-2003 01:54 PM
Growing under lights: confusion--Thanks Orchids 0 10-02-2003 12:55 PM
Growing under lights: confusion Orchids 6 07-02-2003 05:16 PM