Old 10-04-2004, 02:02 AM
PhalGuy

Default Confusion! Help Ray!

Hello all!

Today I bought a light meter to be able to get a measure in foot-candle of
my fluorescent.

I have read in books that Phal are best grown between 900 - 1200 feet candle
during summer time and 1300 - 1500 feet candle in winter time.

Last year, I have bought 6 20 inch long Bright Stick GE Sylvania Grow and
Show for my phal.
When I took my measurement today, at 1/2 inch from the light, I was getting
around 200 feet candle!!!!
I tried with a regular 60 watts incandescent bulb and I got 500 feet candle!

Here`s my question:

In two weeks from now, I`m changing my light fixture for 3 48 inch long 2 X
40 Watts fluorescent tube.
If I put two Daylight 40 watts tube, am I going to get the necessary feet
candle for my plants?
Would it be better if I put one ColdWhite and 1 WarmLight ?

I am so confused! I just want my plants to be happy and to finally spike!

thanks

Claude

--
Claude

www.picturetrail.com/phalguy

Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old 10-04-2004, 04:02 PM
TZ

Hi Claude,

Unfortunately, published footcandle measurements for orchids are for
natural daylight at noon in greenhouses. This means that morning
light levels will slowly increase to the maximum at noon and then
decreas until dusk.

Flourescent lights are on 100% intensity for the duration of the day
so the total number of photons hitting the plant over a 16 hour day at
a measured value of 600 fc under flourescents may be equal to the
light a plant gets in the greenhouse with 1000 fc.

Also, (I may be wrong on this) I don't thing light meters for sunlight
accurately read the light coming from flourescents since the
fluorescents only produce a few wavelengths of light (blue GREEN
red)[mostly a green peak plants don't use very well] where as sunlight
has a continuum of wavelenths (rainbow).

The general (cheapest and fairly efficient) fluorescent light settup
for orchids is 2-48" shoplights (= 4 tubes; giving about 800 fc) on
for 14-16 hours/day, with Phals placed about 8-14 inches under the
lights. 20" fixtures put out much less light = your low readings
(count up the watts to get an idea of the energy your plant is
getting). They are OK if the plant is getting some window light and
you are tight on space.

After 8-12 months the tubes start putting out WAY less light even
though the human eye doesn't recognize it.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

(TZ) writes:
Unfortunately, published footcandle measurements for orchids are for
natural daylight at noon in greenhouses. This means that morning

I do not agree.

My tables say minimum 40klux (about 3700 fc) to get a semiterete
vandaceous plant to flower, with the ideal between 55 and
70klux. Strap-leaved variants need lower light, but I can't seem to
get them to live through the winter. Oh, well.

I have now moved one of my ascocendas from a 30klux to a 45klux
position. It had just been sitting there for a year without spiking
while I figured out what it could take when it comes to watering.
Within two weeks, it had produced a spike. I have not changed anything
in the watering regimen the last two months.

Also, (I may be wrong on this) I don't thing light meters for sunlight
accurately read the light coming from flourescents since the
fluorescents only produce a few wavelengths of light (blue GREEN
red)[mostly a green peak plants don't use very well] where as sunlight
has a continuum of wavelenths (rainbow).

Light meters measure light very accurately - if they have been
calibrated. The light readings may not be applicable to what the
plants will think of the light - this has to do with the wavelengths
the plants needs.

I use a 250w sodium light close up with a 75w MH spot 2m away (because
of a silly mounting on my part). I think I will throw the 250 w
fixture out and get a 500w MH one instead because of the yellow light
from the sodium light. Double the wattage will give me about 30% more
light, but it will give a much "whiter" light. It will also allow me
to have the plants more than 10in/25cm from the bulb - I am worried
about the heat from the bulb burning the leaves. I will probably get a
visit from the cops because they think I want the light for growing
pot, but they are welcome to come and have a look.

My one phal is getting 10-15klux, by the way (900-1300fc), and seems
to like it just fine.

Oh, and by the way - I run my lights 16 hours a day in an effort to
get my plants to flower, which means they go on at 5 in the
morning. It also helps me wake up in the morning on my way to the
shower. 250w of light does the work of about a litre of coffee.

Geir

Old 10-04-2004, 04:33 PM
PhalGuy

Thanks!

So , your saying that 2 -48` shoplight ( 4 tubes ) will be better for ma
Phal than a 1 -48`shoplight ( 2 tubes ) .
What about the kind of tube you`re using?
I was thinking a mix of Cold and warm or just Daylight?

Claude

"TZ" wrote in message
om...
| Hi Claude,
|
| Unfortunately, published footcandle measurements for orchids are for
| natural daylight at noon in greenhouses. This means that morning
| light levels will slowly increase to the maximum at noon and then
| decreas until dusk.
|
| Flourescent lights are on 100% intensity for the duration of the day
| so the total number of photons hitting the plant over a 16 hour day at
| a measured value of 600 fc under flourescents may be equal to the
| light a plant gets in the greenhouse with 1000 fc.
|

| Also, (I may be wrong on this) I don't thing light meters for sunlight
| accurately read the light coming from flourescents since the
| fluorescents only produce a few wavelengths of light (blue GREEN
| red)[mostly a green peak plants don't use very well] where as sunlight
| has a continuum of wavelenths (rainbow).
|

| The general (cheapest and fairly efficient) fluorescent light settup
| for orchids is 2-48" shoplights (= 4 tubes; giving about 800 fc) on
| for 14-16 hours/day, with Phals placed about 8-14 inches under the
| lights. 20" fixtures put out much less light = your low readings
| (count up the watts to get an idea of the energy your plant is
| getting). They are OK if the plant is getting some window light and
| you are tight on space.
|
| After 8-12 months the tubes start putting out WAY less light even
| though the human eye doesn't recognize it.
|

| Hope this helps.

ws.com...

Old 10-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Matthew Donadio

"PhalGuy" wrote in message
s.com...
So , your saying that 2 -48` shoplight ( 4 tubes ) will be better for ma
Phal than a 1 -48`shoplight ( 2 tubes ) .
What about the kind of tube you`re using?
I was thinking a mix of Cold and warm or just Daylight?

I grow all of my plants, mostly Phals, under 4x40W fluorescent (two shop
lights, 4 tubes total). I used to use 40W Plant & Aquarium tubes and I
tried Daylight tubes, and my plants did well. I recently switched to a mix
of Cool and Warm White bulbs for a few reasons. One, is that the specialty
bulbs are 3x to 4x the cost of normal bulbs. Two, normal bulbs put out
about 50% more lumens than the specialty bulbs. The third is that I have
talked with several experienced growers, and they have have good success
with normal bulbs.

--Matt

Old 10-04-2004, 07:32 PM
PhalGuy

Thanks you Matthew!

Could tell me how wide is a single shoplight?
I`m thinking putting 2 together to get 4 tubes!

So, according to your experience, a mix of CoolWhite and Warm White is
better than a simple Daylight?

thanks

Claude

Old 10-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Matthew Donadio

"PhalGuy" wrote in message
s.com...
Could tell me how wide is a single shoplight?
I`m thinking putting 2 together to get 4 tubes!

It depends on the ficture. I buy whatever is cheapest at Home Depot (they
run about $10/each). I have had some that have been about 8" wide, others
are barely wider than the two tubes.

So, according to your experience, a mix of CoolWhite and Warm White is
better than a simple Daylight?

I can't say that yet. I started using the mix this year, and most of my
plants are new. A few are sending up inflorescences, so we'll see.

--Matt

Old 11-04-2004, 12:32 AM
PhalGuy

Thanks again Matthew!

My shelving unit is 19 3/4 inch wide so I will be able to put 2 shoplight
together for a total of 4 40 W 48 inch tube!

I heard many thing about the kind of fluorescent to use, some said to go
with the cheapest one I can find, an orchid greenhouse in Montreal are using
only Daylight tubes, so , I guess I will do my own experiment!

Thank you very much!

Old 11-04-2004, 05:02 AM
PhalGuy

hello again!

Does the Daylight or Coolwhite or White warm tube generate heat?

Thanks

Claude

"PhalGuy" wrote in message
s.com...
| Thanks again Matthew!
|
| My shelving unit is 19 3/4 inch wide so I will be able to put 2 shoplight
| together for a total of 4 40 W 48 inch tube!
|
| I heard many thing about the kind of fluorescent to use, some said to go
| with the cheapest one I can find, an orchid greenhouse in Montreal are
using
| only Daylight tubes, so , I guess I will do my own experiment!
|
| Thank you very much!
|
| Claude
|

| "Matthew Donadio" wrote in message
| | "PhalGuy" wrote in message
| | s.com...
| | Could tell me how wide is a single shoplight?
| | I`m thinking putting 2 together to get 4 tubes!
| |
| | It depends on the ficture. I buy whatever is cheapest at Home Depot
(they
| | run about $10/each). I have had some that have been about 8" wide,
others
| | are barely wider than the two tubes.
| |
| | So, according to your experience, a mix of CoolWhite and Warm White is
| | better than a simple Daylight?
| |
| | I can't say that yet. I started using the mix this year, and most of my
| | plants are new. A few are sending up inflorescences, so we'll see.
| |
| | --Matt
| |
| |

Old 11-04-2004, 03:03 PM
dusty

"PhalGuy" wrote in
s.com:

hello again!

Does the Daylight or Coolwhite or White warm tube generate heat?

Thanks

Claude

"PhalGuy" wrote in message
s.com...
| Thanks again Matthew!
|
| My shelving unit is 19 3/4 inch wide so I will be able to put 2
| shoplight together for a total of 4 40 W 48 inch tube!
|
| I heard many thing about the kind of fluorescent to use, some said to
| go with the cheapest one I can find, an orchid greenhouse in Montreal
| are
using
| only Daylight tubes, so , I guess I will do my own experiment!
|
| Thank you very much!
|
| Claude
|

| "Matthew Donadio" wrote in message
| | "PhalGuy" wrote in message
| | s.com...
| | Could tell me how wide is a single shoplight?
| | I`m thinking putting 2 together to get 4 tubes!
| |
| | It depends on the ficture. I buy whatever is cheapest at Home
| | Depot
(they
| | run about $10/each). I have had some that have been about 8" wide,
others
| | are barely wider than the two tubes.
| |
| | So, according to your experience, a mix of CoolWhite and Warm
| | White is better than a simple Daylight?
| |
| | I can't say that yet. I started using the mix this year, and most
| | of my plants are new. A few are sending up inflorescences, so
| | we'll see.
| |
| | --Matt
| |
| |

First; all Fluorescent lamps generate enough heat to burn a plant if it
comes in contact with it.

Second let me say shop lights "ARRRGGGUUUH!" it's been my experiance that
they eat Fluorescent tubes twice as fast as ballasted fixtures and don't
put out as much light.

to see what I use go to http://www.graybar.com/ and paste this number into
the product search box upper left of page SS240120VAD-RM2S35TP-LD-U
it will open another page and then click on the details button.
this is just the best example I could find.

Notice it is a 40 watt not a 32 watt fixture. less watts = less light
You can butt these fixtures against each other to get more light
I use 4 of these per shelf and can grow & bloom catts as well as Phals.

Hope this helps
Dusty

Old 11-04-2004, 03:32 PM
PhalGuy

Thanks Dusty!

But my problem is I need Fluorescent fixture with cords! It is to installed
on a wooden shelving unit:
Go check on my site: www.picturetrail.com/phalguy
and click on My Installation album

You will see my wooden shelving unit. I need to install better fluorescent
on this!

thanks

Claude

"dusty" wrote in message
s.com...
| "PhalGuy" wrote in
| s.com:
|
| hello again!
|
| Does the Daylight or Coolwhite or White warm tube generate heat?
|
| Thanks
|
| Claude
|
| "PhalGuy" wrote in message
| s.com...
| | Thanks again Matthew!
| |
| | My shelving unit is 19 3/4 inch wide so I will be able to put 2
| | shoplight together for a total of 4 40 W 48 inch tube!
| |
| | I heard many thing about the kind of fluorescent to use, some said to
| | go with the cheapest one I can find, an orchid greenhouse in Montreal
| | are
| using
| | only Daylight tubes, so , I guess I will do my own experiment!
| |
| | Thank you very much!
| |
| | Claude
| |
| |
| | "Matthew Donadio" wrote in message
| | | "PhalGuy" wrote in message
| | | s.com...
| | | Could tell me how wide is a single shoplight?
| | | I`m thinking putting 2 together to get 4 tubes!
| | |
| | | It depends on the ficture. I buy whatever is cheapest at Home
| | | Depot
| (they
| | | run about $10/each). I have had some that have been about 8" wide,
| others
| | | are barely wider than the two tubes.
| | |
| | | So, according to your experience, a mix of CoolWhite and Warm
| | | White is better than a simple Daylight?
| | |
| | | I can't say that yet. I started using the mix this year, and most
| | | of my plants are new. A few are sending up inflorescences, so
| | | we'll see.
| | |
| | | --Matt
| | |
| | |
| |
| |

Old 11-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Ray

Dusty,

I fell into that trap, too.

The modern 32W bulbs actually put out more light than their 40 watt counterparts, due to better
phosphors.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"dusty" wrote in message s.com...
"PhalGuy" wrote in
s.com:

hello again!

Does the Daylight or Coolwhite or White warm tube generate heat?

Thanks

Claude

"PhalGuy" wrote in message
s.com...
| Thanks again Matthew!
|
| My shelving unit is 19 3/4 inch wide so I will be able to put 2
| shoplight together for a total of 4 40 W 48 inch tube!
|
| I heard many thing about the kind of fluorescent to use, some said to
| go with the cheapest one I can find, an orchid greenhouse in Montreal
| are
using
| only Daylight tubes, so , I guess I will do my own experiment!
|
| Thank you very much!
|
| Claude
|

| "Matthew Donadio" wrote in message
| | "PhalGuy" wrote in message
| | s.com...
| | Could tell me how wide is a single shoplight?
| | I`m thinking putting 2 together to get 4 tubes!
| |
| | It depends on the ficture. I buy whatever is cheapest at Home
| | Depot
(they
| | run about $10/each). I have had some that have been about 8" wide,
others
| | are barely wider than the two tubes.
| |
| | So, according to your experience, a mix of CoolWhite and Warm
| | White is better than a simple Daylight?
| |
| | I can't say that yet. I started using the mix this year, and most
| | of my plants are new. A few are sending up inflorescences, so
| | we'll see.
| |
| | --Matt
| |
| |

Old 11-04-2004, 07:02 PM
dusty

"Ray" wrote in
:

Dusty,

I fell into that trap, too.

The modern 32W bulbs actually put out more light than their 40 watt
counterparts, due to better phosphors.

well Ray
That's what the salesman told me also but my candle power meter says
different I've even tried the T-8 lamps which are supposed to be even
brighter. Then I may have a candle power meter that likes the light from 40
watt tubes, it is kind of old.
dusty
Old 11-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Ray

Maybe we're talking about different 32W bulbs...

I checked the specs on some a while back after making the same higher wattage = more light comment,
and found that it wasn't correct for the bulbs in question.

Don't ask what they were, I simply do not recall.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"dusty" wrote in message s.com...
"Ray" wrote in
:

Old 11-04-2004, 07:33 PM
dusty

"PhalGuy" wrote in
s.com:

Thanks Dusty!

But my problem is I need Fluorescent fixture with cords! It is to
installed on a wooden shelving unit:
Go check on my site: www.picturetrail.com/phalguy
and click on My Installation album

You will see my wooden shelving unit. I need to install better
fluorescent on this!

thanks

Claude

My 4 foot shelving is similar to your photo marked 04-03-13 I do see why
you asked about lamp heat now and yes your arrangement may be a problem as
the plants on the shelf above the fixture will get too warm. I have a fix
but it isn't pretty. I use 2 inch pink isolation foam from My 4 foot
shelving is similar to your photo marked 04-03-13 I do see why you asked
about lamp heat now and yes your arrangement may be a problem as the plants
on the shelf above the fixture will get too warm. I have a fix but it isn't
pretty. I use 2 inch pink isolation foam from Home Depot aka the BORG on
each self.

aka the BORG on each self.

I forgot to mention that the lamp fixtures are available at Lowes and