Old 03-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Janet Price

Default shade cloth

Hi all,

I'm beginning to set up my orchids outside and want to get them off the
ground and onto the deck, which means they're in full sun. Will putting
a strip of burlap a few feet above them function OK as a shade cloth?

Will it let too much or too little light thru? I have mostly catts, but
other varieties also.

Thanks,

Janet

Old 03-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Marc Riva

Janet,
I would think that burlap would be too heavy for adequate light to filter
through but of course there are many factors that need to be considered such
as the distance of the screen to the plants, how much light is allowed in
from the sides, etc. You could, however, position the burlap sections so
that plants are shaded at peak sunlight hours. The other matter that may be
of concern is the structure required to support the burlap, especially if
you are trying to screen a number of plants. Unless you have places where
you can tie the burlap securely, by creating what in effect is a sail, you
run the risk of a gust of wind causing serious damage to your plants . All
this is not to say that it can't be done, because of course it can. It just
may be more effort than it's worth.
Marc Riva
www.riva.ca
Old 05-05-2004, 11:06 PM
V_coerulea

Don't underestimate what Marc said about a sail. I don't put up shade cloth
of any kind here without it being anchored to at least a 2X4 every 2-4 ft.
Thunderstorms can throw out unpredictable and violent winds. If you don't
want to go for "real" shade cloth, maybe double or triple cheesecloth might
work but it really depends on where you live. Here in SC burlap might be
fine but in PA it might be too much shade. I happen to have an extra small
piece of 50% shade (about 4X10 ft) that you can have for the postage. It's
older, used, but also in very usable condition. Contact me offline if you're
interested.
Gary

Old 05-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Rob Halgren

V_coerulea wrote:

Don't underestimate what Marc said about a sail. I don't put up shade cloth
of any kind here without it being anchored to at least a 2X4 every 2-4 ft.
Thunderstorms can throw out unpredictable and violent winds. If you don't
want to go for "real" shade cloth, maybe double or triple cheesecloth might
work but it really depends on where you live. Here in SC burlap might be
fine but in PA it might be too much shade. I happen to have an extra small
piece of 50% shade (about 4X10 ft) that you can have for the postage. It's
older, used, but also in very usable condition. Contact me offline if you're
interested.
Gary

Ditto... Although if you want to make it look nice, you could put
up an arbor or pergola of some sort. You can make a pretty nice shade
structure using that wooden lattice that they sell at the home center.
It comes in 4x8' sheets. Actually it comes in plastic, too, but I kind
of like the look of the wood. I suspect you could do a very good job
for under $100.

Anyway, it might be nice to have such a thing on a sunny deck,
regardless of whether you are putting orchids out there or not. The
wooden lattice would cast approximately 50% shade. If you needed more
shade, you could easily put some vinyl window screen over it (it comes
in rolls), or even buy some of that fancy shade cloth stuff. Or, you
could get vines to grow on it easily. Hop vine is a good fast growing
option, it might be casting significant shade by the time you were ready
to move the orchids outside. And with the hops you can make a nice beer
to drink on that hot (now shady) day out on the deck.

Oh dear, I've just convinced myself to take on another project...

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
Old 06-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 05 May 2004 17:24:26 -0400, Rob Halgren
wrote:

Ditto... Although if you want to make it look nice, you could put
up an arbor or pergola of some sort. You can make a pretty nice shade
structure using that wooden lattice that they sell at the home center.
It comes in 4x8' sheets. Actually it comes in plastic, too, but I kind
of like the look of the wood. I suspect you could do a very good job
for under $100.

Rob

I had a friend in Chicago that used snow fence to cover the frame
work and cast his shade. He also fenced the outside of the area
so that it provided privacy as well as shade. You don't want
someone walking off with your prize Catt now that it is summering
outside.

SuE

Old 06-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Janet Price

Thanks everyone. I'll keep an eye out for flying burlap. I think since
it's on the deck and close to the house, it'll be a bit protected from
the wind. I'll be putting it just overhead to protect from the sun at
mid-day. The last couple years I put the orchids on benches under the
crabapple tree and I'm not sure they got quite enough sun and they got
too many ants.

Janet

wrote:

Ditto... Although if you want to make it look nice, you could put
up an arbor or pergola of some sort. You can make a pretty nice shade
structure using that wooden lattice that they sell at the home center.
It comes in 4x8' sheets. Actually it comes in plastic, too, but I kind
of like the look of the wood. I suspect you could do a very good job
for under $100.

Rob

I had a friend in Chicago that used snow fence to cover the frame
work and cast his shade. He also fenced the outside of the area
so that it provided privacy as well as shade. You don't want
someone walking off with your prize Catt now that it is summering
outside.

SuE

Source for shade canopies and shade cloth [email protected] North Carolina 0 06-05-2005 09:08 PM
Shade Cloth for Tomatoes? James Cubby Culbertson Gardening 6 22-03-2004 08:32 AM
shade cloth bb Orchids 16 05-11-2003 11:12 PM
Shade cloth at Home Depot? [email protected] Orchids 17 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM