Old 19-05-2004, 04:08 PM
bb

Default Vanda feeding

I often hear about vandas being heavy feeders. I typically water and
fertilize my orchids on Sunday mornings while the rest of the house is
sleeping in. During most of the year I also spay down the vadas in
the morning.

How often do people fertilize their vandas? The heavy feeders thing
would make me think they maybe need to be fed more often than the rest
of my non-vanda brood.

I'm on the west coast of central Florida, if that makes a difference.

Any input or opinions appreciated.

bb
Old 19-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Diana Kulaga

bb:

Here in Port St. Lucie we fertilize our Vandas at least weekly using 1
Tsp/gallon, but prefer to feed more often, time permitting. They seem to
like a thrice weekly shot (water every day, of course). And for the record,
Frank installed a timed watering system for them, so now they get a good
dose of H2O twice a day, and they are really thriving.

Diana

Old 20-05-2004, 05:13 PM
bb

On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:52:48 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

bb:

Here in Port St. Lucie we fertilize our Vandas at least weekly using 1
Tsp/gallon, but prefer to feed more often, time permitting. They seem to
like a thrice weekly shot (water every day, of course). And for the record,
Frank installed a timed watering system for them, so now they get a good
dose of H2O twice a day, and they are really thriving.

Diana

Thanks for the input. I may adjust my water/feed schedule
accordingly.

bb
Old 21-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Kenni Judd

Motes recommends, in his book on Vandas, feeding at every fifth watering.
We try for 1x/week in cooler weather, 2x/week in the heat.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 21-05-2004, 10:06 PM
profpam

Kenni,

: "We try for 1x/week in cooler weather, 2x/week in the heat."

For those who may be in the novice category, you did mean that you fertilize
early in the day but within a period of a heat wave as the heat saps a great
deal of energy from the plants. Or am I misinterpreting?

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 22-05-2004, 02:06 AM
NOOK

I growem from flask and startem on the soaking in fert routine once
they are about 18 months old.(50-75 ppm) Before then I just mist them
with a very week fert solution twice a week The young adults (2ys and
up) all get dunked into vats of 100-275 ppm (depending on size, look,
and growth) solution for an hour or more on Monday mornings.The rest
of the week they get RO water every morning and misted just slightly
(the misting lines come on for a few seconds and just dampen the
leaves and roots) throughout the day up to about 3 pm
I just got a tub of the MSU fert from Ray and have started them on it.
We shall see if they like it better. After two soakings it is still to
early to tell any diff.
It probably is just me but I like the new stuff better, it has a finer
grain and dissolves quicker and more completely, acording to my
uncalibrated eye.
"whatch out were the huskies go"
NANOOK

Old 23-05-2004, 07:19 AM
bb

On Fri, 21 May 2004 10:20:32 -0400, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

Motes recommends, in his book on Vandas, feeding at every fifth watering.
We try for 1x/week in cooler weather, 2x/week in the heat.

Hmmm, the couple of books I have only say they are heavy feeders, but
no recomendation. I'll have to keep an eye out for this Motes book.

Thanks to all for the replies.

bb

POE 2007 - Vanda Rothschildiana - dusty blue tesselated vanda Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 1 28-02-2007 12:50 PM
POE 2007 - Vanda Pakchong Blue 'Devera' - deep blue LARGE vanda Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:19 AM
Vanda Feeding Brian Woodward Orchids 9 17-07-2003 08:32 PM
Vanda has blue colored rot Crowswood Orchids 1 24-03-2003 11:20 PM
Photo: Vanda coerulescens Prem Subrahmanyam Orchids 3 28-02-2003 12:58 AM