Old 14-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Brian Woodward

Default Vanda Feeding

OK, so they're air plants basically but will a regular solution of Chempak
Orchid Fertiliser do, had it a couple of months now and think it needs some
grub.

Any ideas?

Brian Woodward

Old 14-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Gene Schurg

Brian,

I use a liquid fertilizer (Dyna Gro) and just wet them with the spray when I
water everything else. Usually they get a hit of food about once a week.
If they are outdoors summering from the tree branches they get much less
because I'm not out there with the fertilizer spray. For those I try to
remember to fill a spray bottle and give them some food. I haven't been
good at remembering this but the ones outdoors do just fine with the
nutrients that blow in the wind and rain and of course the occasional bird
doo doo.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 14-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:12:58 +0100, "Brian Woodward"
wrote:

OK, so they're air plants basically but will a regular solution of Chempak
Orchid Fertiliser do, had it a couple of months now and think it needs some
grub.

Any ideas?

Brian Woodward

We feed once a week with the same mix that everything else gets.
SuE
Old 14-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

Since we began faithfully feeding full strength twice weekly, year round,
our Vandas are much more prolific. And, we water daily.

Diana

Old 15-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Dave

I make a little bag with time release fertilizer in it, my wife's old nylons
get a second life. This way they get feed a little each time I water, have
done for several years and have some very healthy Vanda plants.

Old 15-07-2003, 10:17 PM
Gene Schurg

Dave,

First of all I hope you ask first before you take her old nylons grin. If
not does she hang you out with the Vandas?

I have heard that the time released fertilizers (osmacote) breaks down very
quickly when it gets hot in the sun. Someone told me not to use in on
seedlings for this reason because it will burn tender young plants (not just
orchids).

Good Growing,
Gene

. com...

Old 17-07-2003, 12:36 AM
Diana Kulaga

I have heard that the time released fertilizers (osmacote) breaks down
very quickly when it gets hot in the sun. Someone told me not to use in on
seedlings for this reason because it will burn tender young plants (not just
orchids).

Gene,

I can tell you from my FL growing experience that osmocote and the other
time release ferts placed on top of the medium in our warm and sunny climate
don't last nearly as long as they should, so obviously the pellets are
breaking down quickly. I never use it on babies, but everyone else except
my one Paph gets it. When my husband uses it for in-ground plants he mixes
it into the soil.

Diana

Old 17-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Dave

I have her permission, would NOT take them otherwise. I use Nutracote which
is suppose to be formulated for FL and they claim it last for 6 to 9 months.
Have had success with it.
"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Dave,

First of all I hope you ask first before you take her old nylons grin.

If
not does she hang you out with the Vandas?

I have heard that the time released fertilizers (osmacote) breaks down

very
quickly when it gets hot in the sun. Someone told me not to use in on
seedlings for this reason because it will burn tender young plants (not

just
orchids).

Good Growing,
Gene

"Dave" wrote in message
. com...
I make a little bag with time release fertilizer in it, my wife's old

nylons
get a second life. This way they get feed a little each time I water,

have
done for several years and have some very healthy Vanda plants.
"Brian Woodward" wrote in message
OK, so they're air plants basically but will a regular solution of

Chempak
Orchid Fertiliser do, had it a couple of months now and think it needs

some
grub.

Any ideas?

Brian Woodward

POE 2007 - Vanda Rothschildiana - dusty blue tesselated vanda Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 1 28-02-2007 12:50 PM
POE 2007 - Vanda Pakchong Blue 'Devera' - deep blue LARGE vanda Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:19 AM
Vanda feeding bb Orchids 6 23-05-2004 07:19 AM
Vanda has blue colored rot Crowswood Orchids 1 24-03-2003 11:20 PM
Photo: Vanda coerulescens Prem Subrahmanyam Orchids 3 28-02-2003 12:58 AM