Old 14-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Ebthtr

Default Bark vs Moss

Bought a phal last October at Target and it's finally dropped it's last blossom
two weeks ago! There are new leaves comming up and they are all a bright shinny
green. The difference between that one and the others that I have is that the
really healthy one is planted in moss and the others are in bark. Since I need
to repot some of the other ones, would it be a better idea to put them in moss
as well?

The second question is - Is it o.k. to repot an orchid that is blooming? I have
two plants in one pot. One looks really good and the other doesn't (leaves are
dull and leathery looking).

Thanks
Linda
Old 15-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Ray

Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to repot a blooming plant. However, if you suspect that
the medium is taking down the roots, by all means do - it's better to risk losing this season's
blossoms than the whole plant.

As to the moss versus bark question, it all depends on the moisture demands of the plant, your
cultural conditions, and how "heavy handed" you are about watering.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 15-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Dewitt

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:08:24 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

As to the moss versus bark question, it all depends on the moisture demands of the plant, your
cultural conditions, and how "heavy handed" you are about watering.

For me growing phals inside, nothing beats sphagnum in clay pots.
However, it requires regular repotting and is problematic in pots
over 6 inches. I've moved most of mine to a coconut husk chips (CHC)
mix and plastic pots. Never did have much luck with bark mixes for
inside phals.

I do still go back to sphagnum in clay pots for problem cases where I
need to get a plant with few roots established.

deg
Old 15-06-2004, 02:03 AM
V_coerulea

I agree with Ray. I would add a Physan soak for unhealthy-looking plants
before repotting and then repot in the mix that seem to work best for me.
I've repotted phals in bloom with absolutely no problems at all, and others
that have dropped everything. In my experience, the smaller bloomers tends
to be more sensitive.
Gary

"Ray" wrote in message
Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to repot a blooming plant.

However, if you suspect that
the medium is taking down the roots, by all means do - it's better to risk

losing this season's
blossoms than the whole plant.

As to the moss versus bark question, it all depends on the moisture

demands of the plant, your
cultural conditions, and how "heavy handed" you are about watering.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 15-06-2004, 03:04 AM
Frank H. Kirchner

Ray is much too modest!

I have grown phals in bark, sphagnum, S/H and mounted on cork. By far, my
greatest success has been with either the cork slabs or S/H. The cork slabs
require daily attention with water but I think their presentation is
particularly elegant with the arching inflorescences coming off the cork
slab. Not east to display in the house though. I have yet to try using the
slab as a raft.

Regarding S/H, I am sold. I lost none of my phals in transfer to the new
growing medium. I'm having incredible root growth and you couldn't ask for
happier foliage. It's too early for me to assess blossoms as the transfer
occurred after last blooms but I'm very happy with it. You go Ray! LOL!

In both bark and sphagnum I tended towards easy root rot from too much water
accumulation. The plants just weren't as vibrant.

Good growing and best wishes.

Frank

Old 15-06-2004, 05:07 AM
Claude

Semi-Hydroponic culture! The medium is made from clay pellet, called
PrimeAgra or Hydroton. It`s inorganic, porous, can be use over and over and
I`m sold too!
I grow mostly Phal and Paph in S/H with great succes!
Lots of roots, nice leaves and lots of flower spikes! I`m having quite a
summer blast this year!

For more information about S/H, go to ray website www.firstray.com and click
on the semi/hydroponic link!

Claude

Old 15-06-2004, 05:08 AM
Claude

Sorry, wrong adress: www.firstrays.com

Claude

"Claude" wrote in message
| Semi-Hydroponic culture! The medium is made from clay pellet, called
| PrimeAgra or Hydroton. It`s inorganic, porous, can be use over and over
and
| I`m sold too!
| I grow mostly Phal and Paph in S/H with great succes!
| Lots of roots, nice leaves and lots of flower spikes! I`m having quite a
| summer blast this year!
|
| For more information about S/H, go to ray website www.firstray.com and
click
| on the semi/hydroponic link!
|
| Claude
|
| "David Edgley" wrote in message
| | S/H?
| |
| | "Frank H. Kirchner" wrote in message
| | Ray is much too modest!
| |
| | I have grown phals in bark, sphagnum, S/H and mounted on cork. By
far,
| my
| | greatest success has been with either the cork slabs or S/H. The cork
| | slabs
| | require daily attention with water but I think their presentation is
| | particularly elegant with the arching inflorescences coming off the
cork
| | slab. Not east to display in the house though. I have yet to try
using
| | the
| | slab as a raft.
| |
| | Regarding S/H, I am sold. I lost none of my phals in transfer to the
| new
| | growing medium. I'm having incredible root growth and you couldn't
ask
| | for
| | happier foliage. It's too early for me to assess blossoms as the
| transfer
| | occurred after last blooms but I'm very happy with it. You go Ray!
| LOL!
| |
| | In both bark and sphagnum I tended towards easy root rot from too much
| | water
| | accumulation. The plants just weren't as vibrant.
| |
| | Good growing and best wishes.
| |
| | Frank
| | "Ebthtr" wrote in message
| | Bought a phal last October at Target and it's finally dropped it's
| last
| | blossom
| | two weeks ago! There are new leaves comming up and they are all a
| bright
| | shinny
| | green. The difference between that one and the others that I have is
| | that
| | the
| | really healthy one is planted in moss and the others are in bark.
| Since
| | need
| | to repot some of the other ones, would it be a better idea to put
them
| | in
| | moss
| | as well?
| |
| | The second question is - Is it o.k. to repot an orchid that is
| blooming?
| | have
| | two plants in one pot. One looks really good and the other doesn't
| | (leaves
| | are
| | dull and leathery looking).
| |
| |
| | Thanks
| | Linda
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old 15-06-2004, 07:02 AM
K Barrett

Since you are doing well with moss then repeat it when you repot. Consider
moving the other phals into it too. Why not? They may freak out. The
existing roots are used to bark and may rot when in moss, but if you repot
when new roots are actively growing then the new roots will move into the
moss and take over supporting the plant.

Personally, I can't handle moss. Once I let it dry out that's it. I can
never rewet the stuff. Yeah, yeah... use soap, or some other wetting agent,
blah, blah, blah. All a load of crap as far as I'm concerned.

But since it works for you then Yippee!! Don't mess up a good thing.

Some folks say there are 2 ways to repot with moss. One is to have the
plant packed tight in the moss. The other is to have the plant just tight
enough for support so the plant doesn't rattle around in the pot. A loose
plant won't root. So mimic whatever moss density your good plant has. Use
the same sort of pot too, since your watering hand is used to that. I mean
plastic or clay. And still use a pot that will just hold the root ball. Do
not over pot.

That's my 2 cents.

K Barrett

Old 18-06-2004, 05:14 AM
Diana Kulaga

See there, it's all in our unique experiences and conditions. Unlike you,
Kath, I simply can't get the hang of bark, so for Phals I use spag, or
sometimes a CHC mix. I find I can properly judge the water needs in those
two, and fail miserably when I try to judge bark.

If I bring home a plant in bark, no matter what the genera, my first effort
is to transfer it into Diana-friendly media.

Diana

Old 20-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Troy House

I get a Phal to grow in bark either, but mine in moss are great. Although
I'm going to try the S/H next time I repot.

--
Best,
Troy House

Snake bark maple - dead bark kay United Kingdom 8 24-05-2010 09:32 AM
[IBC] Moss dressing pots was : culitvating moss on a large scale Kev Bailey Bonsai 2 20-07-2005 03:59 PM
[IBC] Azaleas Shedding Bark mep5380 Bonsai 1 15-03-2003 09:56 PM
pine bark mulch Susan Gardening 2 02-03-2003 12:27 PM
Goats ate tree's bark Menk45 Lawns 2 25-02-2003 05:53 AM