Old 28-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Paulo

Default Help with Oncidium

I need some help with my oncidium Illustre "Pacific Rainbow".
All the rest of my orchids are growing, but this one doesnt look so good.
Pseudobulbs looks shriveled, and nothing much growing at all.
I jsut decided to remove it from the clay pot, it was planted in a mix of
bark, perlite, some carbon and some sp.moss. I found out no new roots
growing, and the oldest pseudob.(4th one) was kind of brownish at the bottom
where the old roots were. I removed and let the rest plant outside to dry
somehow....Now I have to replanted....So far is it good what i did? Should i
replant immediately? What is the best mix for this oncidium? I have a
commercial bark mix, and I have a bag of sp.moss
I need some orientation to when and how replant it

Thanks a lot

--
Paulo

Old 28-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Diana Kulaga

I don't know what your conditions are, but my Oncids like to be in either
spaghnum moss or a mix that I make out of CHC, sponge rock, charcoal and
small Aliflor. Shriveled pbulbs could be due to either over- or
underwatering. Was the mix wet when you took it out of the pot?

If it was too dry, a good way to rehydrate the plant is to soak some spag in
water laced with rooting hormone and/or fertilizer (take it easy - just a
little), wrap the spag loosely around the remaining root ball and put the
whole thing in a clear plastic bag. Set it in a warm place without direct
sun (don't want to poach the poor thing!) and wait for new growth.

Diana

.. .

Old 29-06-2004, 12:11 AM
Paulo

Thanks Diana, the mix was kind of humid, earthy smell. THe roots looked
whitish. I just repotted it and i just remix the...mix....I think maybe was
too packed....I have noticed a little root growing in the newest
pseudobulb....I am going to keep an eye and water in a couple of days

--
Paulo
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I don't know what your conditions are, but my Oncids like to be in either
spaghnum moss or a mix that I make out of CHC, sponge rock, charcoal and
small Aliflor. Shriveled pbulbs could be due to either over- or
underwatering. Was the mix wet when you took it out of the pot?

If it was too dry, a good way to rehydrate the plant is to soak some spag

in
water laced with rooting hormone and/or fertilizer (take it easy - just a
little), wrap the spag loosely around the remaining root ball and put the
whole thing in a clear plastic bag. Set it in a warm place without direct
sun (don't want to poach the poor thing!) and wait for new growth.

Diana

.. .

Old 29-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Diana Kulaga

Sounds like you're A-OK, Paolo!

Diana

"Paulo" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

"Paulo" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Help naming Oncidium? Jay von Lehe Orchids 3 24-08-2003 11:12 PM
Other backyard project on the 4th was Oncidium flexorum K Barrett Orchids 19 06-07-2003 03:44 PM
Oncidium and Repotting Paulo Orchids 3 15-05-2003 12:56 AM
Oncidium Paulo Orchids 2 15-04-2003 11:32 AM
Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby Wink Orchids 13 13-03-2003 12:45 AM