Old 26-07-2004, 01:29 AM
Wendy

Default Let's Start a Good Idea, Tips Thread.

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:03:15 GMT, Diana Kulaga wrote:

Wendy, you've created a lovely monster!

Diana

Yes & it's taken me all this time to realize that it would
be better to just start a new post for new tips & ideas!!
Cheers Wendy
Old 26-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Susan Erickson

If you can find any telephone wire - even throw away pieces 8 or
so inches are very useful. Strip the outer case and it will
contain at least 4 fine wires that are plastic coated. They work
well to hold something on to a mount. Hold a stem against a
bamboo stake into a wire support for shipment. They can add that
needed bit of tension during a show set up. But they are often
striped orange and white or solid orange, not exactly blending
into the background.

Wiring for offices often has more wires per cable and they are
wound into a "pair" set. Keep your eyes open. This is the kind
of cable that is often inexactly measured and large hunks thrown
out when someone picks up after an install.
SuE
Old 26-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:57:50 -0700, "wendy7"
wrote:

For example, when I am potting, I use an old lazy susan.
I put it in a wide flat bowl which catches any spillage & is clean
enough to use.

Your suggestion up here brought another to mind. I keep several
spray bottles in the gh. One is water, one physan, one alcohol
and sometimes one for Orthene, lately it has been Ray's Shine
product instead. When I see a problem I can grab the appropriate
bottle. If I have any worry about the cure - I can rinse with
water. I also have a bottle of cinnamon powder.

I repot with kitchen rubber gloves on - too many slivers from
potting mix.
SuE
Old 26-07-2004, 06:03 PM
J. Del Col

"wendy7" wrote in message news:0o%Hc.312$f9.280@fed1read02...

The coarse nylon pads used to strip finishes from wood or metal make
long lasting, lightweight "rafts" to mount orchids. The generic
varieties sold at home improvement centers are cheaper than cork.

Purists will sniff that they aren't natural. So what-- neither are
plastic pots.

I also use plastic cable ties to secure orchids in pots and on rafts;
they are much easier to handle than monofilament.

J. Del Col
Old 26-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Diana Kulaga

"Wendy" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:03:15 GMT, Diana Kulaga wrote:

Wendy, you've created a lovely monster!

Diana

Yes & it's taken me all this time to realize that it would
be better to just start a new post for new tips & ideas!!
Cheers Wendy

I don't see what's wrong with this one, Wendy!

Diana

Old 27-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Wendy

On 26 Jul 2004 07:31:27 -0700, J. Del Col wrote:

"wendy7" wrote in message news:0o%Hc.312$f9.280@fed1read02...

The coarse nylon pads used to strip finishes from wood or metal make
long lasting, lightweight "rafts" to mount orchids. The generic
varieties sold at home improvement centers are cheaper than cork.

Purists will sniff that they aren't natural. So what-- neither are
plastic pots.

I also use plastic cable ties to secure orchids in pots and on rafts;
they are much easier to handle than monofilament.

J. Del Col

Good ones J, Cheers Wendy
Old 31-07-2004, 02:13 PM
wendy7

Hey, this has to be the longest running posting without "flak" etc.!!!
Need more tips please.....have saved some from here.
How about, for anyone that has Arthritus, use a dibble.
I can't pot without one now.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 01-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Diana Kulaga

What's a dibble??

Diana

Old 01-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Diana Kulaga

What's a dibble??

Diana

Old 01-08-2004, 01:46 AM
Wendy

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:12:16 GMT, Diana Kulaga wrote:

What's a dibble??

Diana

Aha! I was hoping someone would ask? I will post a pic over on our
photo group for you.
Cheers Wendy
Old 02-08-2004, 03:51 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 06:13:31 -0700, "wendy7"
wrote:

Hey, this has to be the longest running posting without "flak" etc.!!!
Need more tips please.....have saved some from here.
How about, for anyone that has Arthritus, use a dibble.
I can't pot without one now.

Instead of using a dibble, just tap the pot to settle the
contents the way you would a flour, or coffee tin when you refill
it. All you want to do is get the larger air pockets out and
cause the mix to settle in around the roots. You do not want to
pressure the roots, they might snap. With plastic pots you can
squeeze them one side and then to reshape them so the mix can
work its way down thru the roots.

Sometimes it takes a pot clip or a wire to support the plant for
a few weeks. Also after the first good watering you need to
check the mix level. If you did not get it settled in well, it
will be low and need filling.

SuE