Old 22-05-2003, 03:08 PM
ann in houston

Default Karen's idea from Muck Vac thread

Buried in the middle of the thread asking about a device called a muck
vac, Karen Mullin posted about putting cotton batting in her filter to
catch the finest particles. We cut some pads out of it to sandwich in
with our other filter pads for our canister style filters, and the
very next day, our semi-clear water looked like it had been scrubbed.
It was so clear. So, this is a public thank you to Karen, and
encouragement for others who are frustrated with trying to get the
tiniest floating particles of any kind out of your water.
The batting doesn't have to be real cotton. We used the poly-fill
that they sell in any fabric department.
Old 23-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Lee Brouillet

Batting is one of the "cures" for fines, if you can stand the constant
cleaning! Caveat Emptor: make SURE that the batting that you use is 100%
pure - hypoallergetic, if you will - with NO fire retardants, etc. The poly
will last longer than cotton. Also, give consideration to Jan's window
screen pillow: it will last quite a while (mine's been in over a year), and
will hose off nicely. My water's gin clear, and I credit the window screen
(and the bridal net bag) with filtering out the fines.

Lee

m...