Old 18-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Orchidguy

Default Coconut husk mounts

Greetings ,

A friend gave me a whole coconut husk and all , so I sawed it in half , and
removed the inner hard coconut .
well the dog got one half , and tore it in two pieces, but I salvaged the
two pieces, now should I let them dry completly before mounting, or just go
for it and mount the orchids I have ready for them ?
heres the orchids to be mounted
Enc. cordigera x Enc. nursery rhyme
Ctna. maui maid "ivory dolls" x Enc belenzsis
Mtssa Howards Dream...or we think thats the name?

Any advice is appreciated....!
Thanks & Good growing
Todd

Old 18-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:53:33 GMT, "Orchidguy"
wrote:
for it and mount the orchids I have ready for them ?
heres the orchids to be mounted
Enc. cordigera x Enc. nursery rhyme
Ctna. maui maid "ivory dolls" x Enc belenzsis
Mtssa Howards Dream...or we think thats the name?

Any advice is appreciated....!
Thanks & Good growing
Todd

I don't think it matters - so I will leave the dry or not to the
Southern folk.

As to the plants my understanding of planting in 1/2 a shell is
miniature plants as the planting space is the size of a fist.
All these plants (I think) would rapidly outgrow the space.
Howard's dream when it gets good care is a 8-10" pot size. Enc.
cordigera x Enc. nursery rhyme - Enc. cordigera when I seen it
growing is a big plant. Ctna like to be in big clumps at least a
6" pot if not larger. Is there space in your cocoanut for these
plants to grow?
SuE
Old 20-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Fam. Castrodad- Borrero

I have a Dend unknown growing in half a coconut. But I slip it from top to
bottom instead of horizontaly. I mounted after it dried. I put some moss
between the plant and the coconut and a bit more in the front for show. It's
growing good and I water it the day before I water about every two days or
so since the only water it retains is in the moss.

I live in the Caribbean so weather here helps a lot.

Angel

om...

Coconut Husk Chips Steve[_2_] Orchids 5 05-04-2016 07:14 AM
Coconut Husk Fiber Diana Kulaga Orchids 6 12-01-2006 08:07 PM
Washing Coconut Husk Chips charles VanDyke Orchids 5 02-10-2005 04:18 AM
Coconut husk mounts Orchidguy Orchids 5 26-07-2004 11:02 PM
Bark or Cocoa husk Kevin & Karin United Kingdom 9 04-03-2003 09:36 AM