Old 25-09-2005, 07:33 PM
charles VanDyke

Default Washing Coconut Husk Chips

At our recent orchid festival in Pittsburgh, the topic of removing salt
(NaCl) from coconut husk chips (CHC) was discussed. Most people soak and
rinse the material with regular water or RO/rain water at least 3 or 4
times and check the conductivity of the rinse. However, there apparently
is a study out the indicates that this is not enough for removing all the
salt and that salt can continue to slowly leach out over time and cause
problems (particularly when the medium is allowed to dry and is then
rewet). I do not have the study or the names of the people who did it, but
their results supposedly indicated that the CHC must first be soaked in a
large excess of calcium nitrate ( 1 cup for a 5-10 gal soak tank), then
rinsed and then soaked again with a lesser quantity of magnesium
sulfate(Epsom salt, half cup same tank size) followed by rinsing. The
study apparently analyzed the medium and the sodium uptake of plants by
tissue analysis. Anyone know more about this? I personally have had some
trouble growing phrags in a coconut husk medium (charcoal etc added) with
standard washings.

Thanks

Charles VanDyke

Old 25-09-2005, 07:43 PM
V_coerulea

Check out the people at Antec Labs at http://ladyslipper.com/coco3.htm I
think this is the article you are looking for.
Gary

Old 25-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Dewitt

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:43:00 -0400, "V_coerulea"
wrote:

Check out the people at Antec Labs at http://ladyslipper.com/coco3.htm I
think this is the article you are looking for.
Gary

Ray (www.firstray.com) carries the calcium nitrate they suggest using
to assist in flushing salt from the CHC.

deg
Old 26-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Mick Fournier

Charles,

I have used coconut husk cubes for a couple of years especially on
Neofinetia falcata... what I have found is that these coconut husk products
are loaded with hidden fern seeds. I have ferns growing out the ying yang
now in the pots on my benches.

Mick

===========================

Old 28-09-2005, 02:29 PM
dusty

I get my coconut chips from Crystal Company in Fenton MO where the owner
says they are prewashed and salt free. I've used 2 bales so far without any
problmes.
Grow well and bloom magnificently
dusty

Old 02-10-2005, 04:18 AM
Dewitt

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:29:16 GMT, dusty wrote:

I get my coconut chips from Crystal Company in Fenton MO where the owner
says they are prewashed and salt free. I've used 2 bales so far without any
problmes.
Grow well and bloom magnificently
dusty

Well, I use Crystal Co. CHC also and believe it does need to be
rinsed. Using at TDS meter, it's clear that even Crystal CHC has a
fairly high salt level when you receive it.

deg

Coconut Husk Chips Steve[_2_] Orchids 5 05-04-2016 07:14 AM
Coconut Husk Fiber Diana Kulaga Orchids 6 12-01-2006 08:07 PM
Coconut husk mounts Orchidguy Orchids 5 26-07-2004 11:02 PM
Coconut husk mounts Orchidguy Orchids 2 20-07-2004 03:04 PM
potting straight into coconut chips Stuie Orchids 2 11-01-2004 03:02 PM