Old 08-08-2004, 07:39 AM
RM

Default Root Rot, HELP!!!!!

I have a severely ill orchid (miltonia confusa) with root rot. I have cut
away most of the rotten roots and bulbs; however, there are barely any rots
left and I wonder what the pospects for its survival are. I'm also wondering
what type of aftercare should I provide it.

RM

Old 08-08-2004, 10:26 PM
tbell

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 23:44:51 -0700, RM wrote
(in article DZjRc.265341$Oq2.8246@attbi_s52):

Correction, I meant to say there are barely any roots left.

I hope both things are true!
What I would do at this point is spray the entire plant, rhizome and
remaining roots with Physan, surround them with wet sphagnum, and enclose the
entire plant in a zip-lock baggie. Some like to fill the bag with exhaled
breath (= high CO2) before locking it. Keep it in the 55š-90š range, check it
every several days until you can see a good number of roots forming, and then
pot it in your medium of choice.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700

Old 05-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Robert Acevedo

i'm not too sure if it's too late to help, as I have recently joined the
group. I have found a chemical called Rootone very helpful with root rot --
its a rooting hormone with fungicide in it. sprinkle a small amount on the
roots when you repot it and them continue to use it sparingly on the roots
of the plant when you water it. You should notice new root growth fairly
quickly.

"tbell" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 22:26:59 -0700, RM wrote
(in article DWDRc.115536$eM2.56195@attbi_s51):

I didn't get you message early enough so I repotted the plaint with some
moss and bark. Do you think that will be ok? or should I dig it up and

do as
you have suggested. This use to be a beautiful plant, I really don't

know
how the rot took shape since I didn't think I was over watering.

It might do fine in the combined moss and bark; orchids are surprisingly
tough critters. But I have a mental image of virtually no healthy roots

left,
and would be inclined, as they say, to "sphag and bag" the plant. If

you're
not watering more than once a week, it could have to do with simple
decomposition of the original planting medium.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
Azalea Root Rot ?? James Nipper Lawns 5 16-09-2004 02:33 AM
success saving jade from root rot sebres Gardening 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM
Tomatoes vs root rot. Tom Elliott Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
root rot bb Orchids 4 08-02-2003 01:49 PM