Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Ray

Default Calcium Nitrate

It seems that by adding calcium nitrate to your final rinse water when
cleaning CHC (or any coir product, for that matter), the ion-exchange strips
the NaCl from the CHC much more thoroughly than does clear water.

Bob Wellenstein (AnTec Labs) recommends using it at 1 teaspoon per gallon,
and adds that amount of Epsom Salts as well.

Epsom Salts are available at any drug store or Wal-Mart, but Todd Zimmerman
(TZ to most of us) contacted me about carrying calcium nitrate, as it's not
that easy to obtain in small quantities. Following up on his suggestion, I
just added 1-pound bags to my list, in addition to the liquid versions of
the MSU fertilizers I added a few days ago.

..