Old 26-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Rob Halgren

Al wrote:

Miners used canaries to tell if their mines were properly vented. :-)

I confess that I paid careful attention to the 'active state' of
the kitten before I would venture too far into the greenhouse...
Unfortunately for canary purposes, the kitten has now taken up residence
inside the main house. My wife decided (after I found a home for it),
that she was too attached to the kitten to give it away. Sigh...

Three square feet of vent per 100,000 BTU. If that number includes leaks
and cracks and spaces under door jams, etc...how many extra ventilation
square feet did you have to add...

Ain't no cracks and leaks in my greenhouse! *grin*

Wait until February and then come tell us how many gallons of dino-juice
that things burns per day.

Hopefully I'll have my real heater working by then. Just waiting on
a part, and the propane tank.

It is a sad fact of greenhouse management that the sun will only come out
after you pull off the shade cloth because there have been too many cloudy
days.

So far our sunny days were the days before I could get the shade
cloth on... I only burned up a few dozen plants, mostly phals (have I
mentioned I'm not a big phal fan?). We actually had sun yesterday, I
don't think I recognized it at first, it has been so long.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )
Old 26-10-2004, 09:47 PM
janet_a

"Al" wrote in message ...

wait until your little kitten friend takes apart a bench full of orchids
while chasing an invisible friend or mouse that thought it could escape from
the cat just by ducking into a group of nearby potted plants.

actually i was at floradise over the weekend (a phal bellina followed
me home--dammit) and they have a cat---i was very surprised at its
adeptness at weaving in and out of the plants w/o knocking anything
over, even little bitty thumb pots. maybe it's age--this was a full
grown cat, perhaps not given to kittenish hijinks any more.

(went down there for the COS show--they had a vanda whose vegetative
part was at least four feet long/high. i get twitchy just thinking
what a job that must have been to get in and out of a car, etc.)

--j_a