Old 16-10-2004, 04:01 PM
auntymo

Default phal leaves question

what makes phals grow new leaves from the bottom instead of the top? i mean
most phals will grow their new leaves at the crown instead of new growth
coming from underneath the older leaves.

i have a few that are doing this, and am wondering if i am doing something
wrong?

--mo--

Old 16-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Ray

In my experience, that happens when the plant is either suffering from crown
rot or some other crown damage, or it is particularly happy, and it's
another way of reproducing.

..

Old 16-10-2004, 07:52 PM
J Fortuna

Also some Doritaenopsis have a tendency to do that, and then it's just a
natural thing for that kind of plant to do. I think it's called a basal
keiki. Is your plant a Phal or could it be a Dtps? Also is the crown (top
center) healthy looking or does it look like it is in trouble?
Best,
Joanna

.

Old 16-10-2004, 09:28 PM
samaki

My phalaenopsis "Mini Mark" does it quite often. Now I have almost four
divisions !

greetings from Poland
Martha

Old 17-10-2004, 12:58 AM
auntymo

the crown looks normal, leaves are healthy, and there's nothing that looks
like a keiki.

one is a phal. baldan's kaleidescope ('golden treasure' iirc), and the other
is p. mwafeng redjewel x dtps. taisuco firebird.
i guess the dtps. background would explain it then. does anyone know offhand
if baldan's kaleidescope has dtps in it?

thanks so much for the responses.
--mo--