Old 16-10-2004, 08:31 PM
germ

Default Should I try this...

I have my Cyc. pentadactylon blooming female right now and my Cyc.
cooperi blooming male. Do you think it is worth a try?

Here's last year's pictures of them.

cooperi
http://members.verizon.net/~vze4xcmt...Cyccooperi.jpg
penatdactylon
http://members.verizon.net/~vze4xcmt...tadactylon.jpg

The cooperi is good usually 12-15 flowers on each of two spikes, and
about 20 on the pentadactylon per spike. The cooperi is a little
cupped and about 3.5", the pentadactylon's female flowers this year
are 5+", its male flowers are reflexed a little.

Jim

...and what about cooperi onto Cycnoches Wine Delight FCC/AOS?
Old 16-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Gene Schurg

Jim,

There doesn't seem to be a registered cross of Cyc ( pentadactylon x
cooperi ) in the RHS database. If you are successful in making this cross
and are able to bloom it out you could have the honor of naming it (unless
someone beats you to it). You'd think someone must have tried this before?
Maybe they are not compatible.

If the mother plant is large enough and healthy enough to carry a pod I'd
try it just for fun. You will have a couple of months to worry about
finding someone to flask the seeds but I'm sure there are plenty of people
here would volunteer.

Good Growing,
Gene

m...

Old 18-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Rob Halgren

germ wrote:

I have my Cyc. pentadactylon blooming female right now and my Cyc.
cooperi blooming male. Do you think it is worth a try?

Here's last year's pictures of them.

cooperi
http://members.verizon.net/~vze4xcmt...Cyccooperi.jpg
penatdactylon
http://members.verizon.net/~vze4xcmt...tadactylon.jpg

Nicely bloomed plants, and the flower quality looks pretty good from
here... *grin*. You must be doing something right. I think the cross
is probably worth doing. That said, I don't know that I've seen many
spectacular pentadactylon crosses. Rocky Clough is one that was very
popular that I don't like a bit... Too floppy. Perhaps the cooperi
will give the progeny better substance. Hang a couple capsules, I
think the plants look healthy enough to handle it.

If you are looking for an excuse to make the cross, I'd gladly take
a couple bottles. I'd even do the flasking for you if you want. That
offer stands for anybody who is doing cynoches or catasetinae in
general...

..and what about cooperi onto Cycnoches Wine Delight FCC/AOS?

That, I think, has been done. I don't know how it turned out.
Another cross worth doing, but only if you have some of the 'first run'
Wine Delights. It was taken into Taiwan (I think...) and mericloned to
death - these are not particularly good. At least compared to the
original Wine Delight FCC clone.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

Old 19-10-2004, 10:35 PM
profpam

Cycnoches are most difficult to cross as one needs both the male and female
plant, and then chances seem slim compared to cattleyas. Yes, if you get
this one to produce a pod then we'll sow it for you at minimal cost, or send
us a little seed and we'll do an exchange of sorts.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 22-10-2004, 07:36 PM
germ

I have updated the pictures to add the current blooming...

Old 26-10-2004, 02:13 AM
GARLAND HANSON

Hey, give it a shot!!! It should be an interesting cross.

....and YES, I would like a back division of that cooperi some day!!!

Good luck on the cross!
Garland
Midlothian, VA

"germ" wrote in message
m...
I have updated the pictures to add the current blooming...

http://members.verizon.net/~vze4xcmt...Cyccooperi.jpg

http://members.verizon.net/~vze4xcmt...tadactylon.jpg

Jim

Growing Orchid Seed...Everyone should try this once Gene Schurg Orchids 10 16-03-2007 07:37 PM
Should I try this... germ Orchids 0 16-10-2004 08:31 PM
This is a nice newsgroup - people actually try to help each other. Jimmy D Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:11 AM
spring onions(try again) miklol United Kingdom 2 24-03-2003 08:44 PM
[IBC] First try at posting to the list. Judy McClelland Bonsai 2 13-02-2003 05:55 PM