Old 18-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Anvy Owens

Default Questions regarding getting orchids ready for winter....

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this group. I am also a beginner when it comes to growing orchids
and reside around Central Florida area. Needless to say, all my orchids have
been outside since I got them and they are doing very well. But I know that
in a few months I will have to bring them inside. I have a 6 phals, 5
vandas, 2 miltonias, and a couple of oncidiums. I really enjoy reading all
the advice on this newsgroup...Thank you!!

So, here are my questions:
Is there anything in particular I should do to prepare them, such as how to
get rid of any pests that may be living on them that I would not want to
introduce to my house?

Lighting requirements...Is there special lighting that I need to get? Most
of them will be in a room with a sliding glass door that faces east, not
much morning sun coming in and absolutely no afternoon sun.

Also...my vanda's seem to be doing well, but I have noticed that a couple of
the leaves by the stem appears to be wrinkling... I was watering them every
2 to 3 days and they are outside not in any potting medium. Should I
increase the watering? Also, one of the leaves that is not on the bottom
appears to be turning yellow.

Thank you so much for your help in this, you all are a wonderful group!

Mimi