Old 07-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Sarah

Default Benefits of misting w/ fertilized water?

Hi all!

Are there benefits to misting with mildly fertilized water as opposed to
plain water? I live in a very dry climate so I mist every day.

Thanks!

Sarah

Old 07-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Dada

I mist my plants often with fertilized water. I use approx 1/4th of the
concentration recommended for orchids. Haven't had any problems yet!. I keep
the fertilized water away from my leafless orchids though as they have a
possibility of getting damaged.

Dada

Old 07-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Ray

The degree of benefit is determined, to some degree, but the type of orchid.
Some orchids - notably phalaenopsis, as they are so commonly grown - have a
type of metabolism in which their stomata are only open at night, to absorb
moisture from the air during the cooler hours when the relative humidity is
higher, but are closed in the daytime as a ploy to reduce moisture loss from
within the plants' leaves. Because of that, misting with nutrient solution
in the daytime will not be readily absorbed.

Do not think that switching your misting to the nighttime will be better, as
while the plants might actually absorb something, you will also be setting
them up for bacterial or fungal rot, as both types of critters do very well
in cool, moist conditions.

The bottom line is that if you feed the plants properly when you water,
that's sufficient. Not to mention their leaves will stay cleaner and
healthier.

..

Old 07-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Dada

Ray:
Interesting point that you mentioned about the stomata being open during the
night. Can you provide me with any reference where you got the information.
I would like to read more on this topic.

Thanks
Dada

.

Old 07-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Sarah

Thank you! I guess I'll stop misting my phals in the morning. Maybe I'll
switch to a humidifier.

Sarah

Old 08-11-2004, 04:31 PM
TZ

That CAM plants, and Phals in particular, only open their stomata at
night is probably incorrect.

Tests measuring physiological levels associated with CO2 uptake show
that when the plants are sufficiantly watered CO2 uptake buy the leaf
throughout the afternoon is comperable to that at night. This begins
after the plant has used up all of its stored CO2 stored the night
before by the CAM pathways. The plant basically shifts from CAM to
normal C3. The only way this high rate of CO2 uptake could happen is
if the stomata open again in the afternoon in response to CO2 need
within the leaf. The same tests show a brief shut down when the
lights are turned off followed by the usual CAM nightly high levels of
CO2 uptake.

The Phals only stopped the afternoon CO2 uptake, exhibiting the CAM
nighttime only CO2 uptake, after a week of total chemically induced
water stress (not just a dry pot but equal to a bare root plant that
has not been watered in a week).

This makes sense. CAM has evolved several times as a water
conservation device. Why should a CAM plant be inhibited from maximum
growth when it does not need to conserve water during the wet season?

As for nutrients passing through the stomata....leaves are covered
with micropores that the nutrient ions can pass through, and stomata
are fairly rare on the upper surface of orchid leaves anyway so the
fact that stomata are closed may not have significant bearing on the
amount of foliar uptake.

What is important in any case is that nutrient liquid remain on the
leaf surface for as long as possible before drying, so foliar
fertilization is most efficient on rainy-high humidity days when the
plant does not need misting.

If anyone has more specific/contradictory information from
experimental results your input would be welcomed.

Old 09-11-2004, 04:13 AM
Aaron Hicks

Hello, TZ!

Not that I doubt you, but I'd be interested in finding any
empirical data that indicate that there is substantial foliar uptake in
orchids- CAM or otherwise. I know there was one paper (Sheehan?) that was
in one of the Orchid Biology books (book 2 or 3) that used radioactive
tracers to show this was the case. Reportedly, the author recanted his
results some years later, indicating it was probably contamination.

In any event, I'd like to know of any papers on the subject. I've
always thought the cuticle of orchids is too thick for substantial uptake
of nutrients via the foliar route.

I do have an anecdote to share with the group: some orchids do not
like foliar feeding. I have noticed that bacterial infections (apparently
anthracnose) form more readily when water with fertilizer gets onto the
leaves, even when given time to evaporate. I suspect, but have no
evidence, that it supports bacterial growth which in turn may facilitate
infection.

The address in the header is a spam trap. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 09-11-2004, 04:28 AM
Gene Schurg

Sarah,

Last fall I bought a fertilizer injector for my greenhouse.

When I mix the concentrate that is sucked into the water when the hose is
turned on I usually have some extra concentrate left when I finish watering.
For the last year I have been using the what remains in the bucket to be
sucked into the hose when I mist the plants.

Since I've been doing this I see a huge difference in the mounted plants and
vandas. The root development on the vandas is better than I've ever seen.
In years past I was not too good about fertilizing my vandas regularly so
I'm sure they are pleased to get regular feeding. The other mounts look
good. Most of them are winter bloomers and I expect better flowers this year
since the plants are more robust.

The Dendrobiums in clay pots are looking really good this year. I could say
it's the misting with fertilizer water or it could be that I've given them
more attention this year. Most of them were seedlings two years ago and may
just have begun to really grow up. I'll say its the water.

I can't say I see much difference in the big oncidium types, the paphs, or
phals. I don't see anything bad from the water and fertilizer mist.

In a long winded email I guess my advise is mist the stuff with roots out of
the pot with fertilized water and the other stuff don't go out of your way
to do it.

Small print: The above is purely personal observation and has no basis in
scientific fact. It just worked for me during the previous 12 months and
subject to change if I observe something different.

Good Growing,
Gene