Old 12-11-2004, 06:21 PM
francis marion

Default Orchid Digest question

Hello:

I've just noticed on the Orchid Digest web page an ad in their Special
Issues section for Vol 67-4.

It deals with Phrags. Does anyone have this issue? Would you mind
providing me with a verbal description of this issue?

Is it mostly text, pictures, both? What are the dimensions, number of pages?
Anything would be informative, I've never seen one of their publications and
am interested in buying this issue.

Thanks,
Francis Marion

Old 12-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:21:58 GMT, "francis marion"
wrote:

Hello:

I've just noticed on the Orchid Digest web page an ad in their Special
Issues section for Vol 67-4.

It deals with Phrags. Does anyone have this issue? Would you mind
providing me with a verbal description of this issue?

Is it mostly text, pictures, both? What are the dimensions, number of pages?
Anything would be informative, I've never seen one of their publications and
am interested in buying this issue.

Thanks,
Francis Marion

ODC does a GREAT job with special additions. Generally the
issues have enough photos to be eye candy and they are very well
done. But they are not photo essays alone. They are well
supported with knowledgeable or is it accepted experts writing
thoughtful articles. We have had a subscription for 4 years and
would not miss an issue.

Specifically Issue 67-4 - pages 206--287 - size - 81/2 by 11
inches.

Cover: Phrag kovachii by Benjamin Collantes Meza in Peru.
back: Phrag Longueville (P. Hanne Popow x P. longifolium) grown
by Orchid Zone; photo by James Comstock.

In this Issue:

pg 213 - Olaf Gruss - A Checklist of the Genus Phragmipedium
pg 242 - Robert-Jan W. Quen`e - Phragmipedium brasiliense, a New
Species of the Section Lorifolia from Brazil
pg 244 - Marilyn LeDoux - Orchids 101 - Phragmipedium Culture
pg 246 - Centerfold - Pinup: Phragmipedium Jason Fischer
'Triplicate'
pg 248 - Harold Koopowitz - Phragmipedium kovachii in the Wild
pg 256 - Harold Koopowitz - The Influence of Phrag. schlimii and
Phrag. besseae in Slipper Orchid Hybrids
pg 265 - Marilyn LeDoux - Those "Other" Phragmipedium Hybrids
pg 275 - Harold Koopowitz - Profile - Terry Root and the Orchid
Zone Nursery
pg 278 - Breeder's Choice - Windy Hill Gardens
pg 279 - Orchids in 3-D
pg 280 - Treasures in Orchid Literature - Part V. in Search of
Phragmipedium vittatum in the Peat Bogs of the Planalto

pg 210 - Cafe - News from around the Orchid
pg 282 - Gallery - photos from a recent Peru trip.
pg 286 - Webwatch - Intriguing places to surf the web
pg 287 - Interactive - try your hand to wind a free years
extension on your Digest membership.

SuE
Old 12-11-2004, 10:00 PM
francis marion

Thanks for the great summary!!

I really like Phrags and it sounds like an interesting issue.

I'm going to get it for sure, especially after your mention of the Orchids
in 3D!!
I am also a 3D photographer and am always interested in what others are
doing with 3D photography.

Thanks,

F. Marion

Old 13-11-2004, 06:38 AM
Reka

"francis marion" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Thanks for the great summary!!

I really like Phrags and it sounds like an interesting issue.

I'm going to get it for sure, especially after your mention of the Orchids
in 3D!!
I am also a 3D photographer and am always interested in what others are
doing with 3D photography.

So I'm curious. In a nutshell, how do you photograph in 3-D?
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 13-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Ray

Assuming we're talking "Orchid-Digest-3D", you take two images from very
slightly different viewpoints. When placed side-by-side, spaced to match
the distance between the pupils of the eyes, and if you can stare straight
ahead at them, it tricks your brain into seeing it 3D.

Many moons ago, when I lived in SC, there was a professor at U of South
Carolina (I think) that did that with video tape. When the two images were
alternated at a high rate, it looked like 3D on TV.

..

Old 13-11-2004, 03:15 PM
francis marion

There are several methods. The one already mentioned is most common.

I actually own several 3D cameras that are designed spicifically for the
purpose of creating 3d iimages.

But most of the time I use one digital camera and take pictures from 2
slightly different view points.

I'll assemble one of my orchid 3d's and post it on alt.bin.pict.orchids for
you to look at. It might take a little while for me to do this so I'll post
a message here when I get it done.

Good day,
Francis M

Old 13-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Registered User

Location: Massachusetts

I just got this issue, and found it very interesting and the photographs are wonderful! The articles on breeding I found fascinating as I was just wondering about some of the besseae and schlimii hybrids, so perfect timing.