Old 17-11-2004, 06:47 PM
francis marion

Default Aussie Gold Orchid Mix ?

Anyone here heard of, it or used it?

Their web page http://www.aussie-gold.com/ sure makes it sound like the
greatest thing to happen to orchids since sliced bread.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Francis Marion

Old 17-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Rob Halgren

francis marion wrote:

Anyone here heard of, it or used it?

Their web page http://www.aussie-gold.com/ sure makes it sound like the
greatest thing to happen to orchids since sliced bread.

Sliced bread is good for orchids? Cool... *grin*

Every few years something new comes along that is the next great
thing.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

Old 17-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Ray

....and there is no single medium that is perfect for everyone's growing
conditions and mannerisms.

..

Old 17-11-2004, 08:31 PM
wendy7

Yes Francis, I phoned them about a year ago, they are down towards
San Diego, I didn't keep the info as it was just way too expensive
for my liking. It is a type of rock found in Australia.
There were two choices but the gold was the one everyone was raving
about that had tried it.
Someone in our group mentioned the name of the rock (dia-?something)
My memory is so bad so maybe someone will know.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 17-11-2004, 08:40 PM
francis marion

Wendy:

The rock is Dolomite and it is not only found in Australia. It is common
throughout the world.

It can, if it is deposited in the right conditions, be very absorbent and
retains water in microscopic pores for
quite a long time.

I believe this characteristic is part of what they are pushing in their
presentation. Does it work well enough
to make a difference? That's what I'm trying to find out.

Good day,

Francis M.

Old 17-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Rob Halgren

wendy7 wrote:

Yes Francis, I phoned them about a year ago, they are down towards
San Diego, I didn't keep the info as it was just way too expensive
for my liking. It is a type of rock found in Australia.
There were two choices but the gold was the one everyone was raving
about that had tried it.
Someone in our group mentioned the name of the rock (dia-?something)
My memory is so bad so maybe someone will know.

There is something sold as diatomite
(http://www.maidenwelldiatomiteaustra...ts/default.htm) that
I've seen used to very good effect on phrags... Is that what you are
thinking of? Most of those rock or ceramic based media are all working
on the same basic principle. You aren't extracting any nutrient value
from them, just using them to keep the plant from falling over. All of
the nutrition comes from the fertilizer you put in your water.

While you might think that rock is rock, there are some differences
in the way they hold water and wick water up from the bottom of the pot
(usually some sort of reservoir). This probably has an effect on plant
growth. Ray has done some actual science on that, at least for a few
brands. Check that out at http://firstrays.com

I've seen some pretty amazing plants grown this way. In all sorts
of different brands of rocks. The only tricky part seems to be
selecting a good fertilizer, and I think there might be some issues for
plants that need rest periods. I'm trying out some of Ray's media right
now (a full week into the experiment!) to see if it will work for me.

Old 18-11-2004, 12:44 AM
francis marion

It's diatomite, not dolomite

Opps!! Your right.

None the less Diatomatious Earth, from which diatomite is derived from, is
still quite common throughout the world, and is not unique to Australia or
anywhere else.

Sorry about that,

Francis M.

Old 18-11-2004, 12:55 AM
wendy7

Yes that's it Ray diatomite! As I recall the outfit in San Diego Cnty,
didn't have a website but I would have driven down to pick it up.
Thanks Rob for the info too & Francis thanks for straightening out the
geographics of this.
I am using pumice with my bark & it works well for me.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Ray wrote:
It's diatomite, not dolomite

.

Old 18-11-2004, 02:32 AM
Ray

Actually, the Australian deposits are quite unique due to the exceptional
purity of the muds, and the fact that they're from fresh-water diatoms.

..

Old 18-11-2004, 02:52 AM
francis marion

Actually, the Australian deposits are quite unique due to the exceptional
purity of the muds, and the fact that they're from fresh-water diatoms.

I think I'll just shutup and listen/read;-)

F Marion