Old 20-11-2004, 04:37 AM
Steve

Default From the archives

I was just looking at the RGO archives on Google. While there, I was
remembering a post from long ago that was probably my favorite post ever
on RGO. I had saved the post for a few years, but when I changed
computers, it was lost.
The original post seemed to be missing from the archives but I once
reposted it in the spring when it was clock changing time. I was able to
locate it from that later post. I can't believe it was 5 1/2 years ago
that I posted the replay but that's what the archives show. Just to be
sure it doesn't get lost forever, here it is one more time. A fresh copy
for the archives. :-)

Steve

Subject: RAIN!!!!
From: Bubba
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:46:24 -0700

Hey, y'all............

It rained last night!

RAINED!!!!!!!

Not enough. In fact, not very much. But, it was RAIN. A whole
bunch of us were worried that it had forgot how.

This morning, over at the ice house, the subject of daylight
savings time came up. I know that we lost the big one in 1865,
but of all the indignities that came out of that - -
reconstruction, the Fourteenth Amendment, etc - - daylight
savings time is the sorriest. THAT had to be a yankee idea.
Only someone from up north would figger that an hour of sleep
for an hour of daylight was a nifty trade. We need another hour
of road-tar-melting, brain-frying daylight about like a snake
needs a brassiere.

Anyway....the question is this: How do these orchid plants
handle the shift off of daylight savings time? Anything that has
to be fed with an eyedropper like a damned baby possum is proly
pretty set in its ways. Is there some sort of procedure called
for here like snaking extension cords into the trees and jacking
in gro-lights until the little monsters get weaned off of that
extra hour of daylight that they loose when we go onto standard
time?

Whilst we're on the subject, let me pass an idea by you:

Coming off DST is not hard. In the Fall, we set our clocks back
an hour. We all get an extra hour to sleep, and anyone who
forgets, finds hisself at church, or the airport, or wherever an
hour early. Embarrassing, but not catastrophic.

But in the Spring we set the clocks forward, and the trouble
begins. We lose an hour of sleep. Forgetful folks miss Mass,
planes, breakfast, and the big game on TV. Some are thrown into
disarray for up to a full week. Annual losses due to DST
confusion have been estimated (by me) at over a million dollars.
I myself have missed a flight to Albuquerque and a play-off mud
wrestling contest because of DST.

There is no need for such tragic waste. We should ought to urge
our lawmakers to reform Daylight Savings Time as follows:

Setting clocks back is easy; setting them forward is difficult.
Therefore, let's keep the fall ritual as it is. BUT, one Sunday
each Spring, let's set our clocks not one hour forward, but
twenty-three hours backward.

Think of all the advantages. We won't lose an hour of sleep;
we'll gain (almost) a day of rest. It will be Saturday all over
again. You will never again miss a mud wrestling contest, or an
airplane or the Oilers game.

Naturally, if this were the whole plan, our calendars would fall
behind one day in each year. However, the second part of the
Revised DST Plan deals with this. Every four years, instead of
adding a day, let's just subtract three days. Furthermore, let
these be Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, which according to a
recent poll conducted at Big John's Ice House are the least
popular days.

If we do it in February, which seems reasonable considering what
a miserable month it is, this would have the beneficial side
effect of shortening the excruciating, pain-in-the-ass
presidential primary season by an effective four days.

The advantages of this plan are clear. Don't waste time. With a
determined effort we can have Reformed Daylight Savings Time by
Spring of next year.

Write your congressman.

Old 23-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Diana Kulaga

That is hilarious! Did that individual hang around for a while? Were there
any answers? Before my time here...

Diana

Old 25-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Steve

Diana Kulaga wrote:
That is hilarious! Did that individual hang around for a while? Were there
any answers? Before my time here...

Diana

That was almost 6 1/2 years ago so I can't trust my memory 100%. (Man,
I've been hanging out around here for a long time now.)

The way I remember it, he didn't have very many orchids and they weren't
his main interest. He came with some questions and some funny comments.
I think he was only around for weeks or a few months at the most. I
thought he was getting hooked on orchids but then he was gone and never
came back.

Steve
Old 25-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Steve

Steve wrote:

Diana Kulaga wrote:

That is hilarious! Did that individual hang around for a while? Were
there
any answers? Before my time here...

Diana

That was almost 6 1/2 years ago so I can't trust my memory 100%. (Man,
I've been hanging out around here for a long time now.)

The way I remember it, he didn't have very many orchids and they weren't
his main interest. He came with some questions and some funny comments.
I think he was only around for weeks or a few months at the most. I
thought he was getting hooked on orchids but then he was gone and never
came back.

Steve

I just went back to Google and searched RGO for "Bubba" and for
" , the e-mail address he was posting under. I found
posts from mid May to mid July of that year (1998). Searching that way I
still didn't locate the "Rain" post that I reposted to start this little
thread. I wonder why that one is lost? I wonder how many other posts
have been lost, from Bubba or from any of us?
I found a couple of other Bubba posts that crack me up. I was tempted to
copy another one here but I'll let those who are interested to go look
on their own.

Steve