Old 03-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] ADMIN: Old archives

A question that is asked more out of curiosity than necessity:

Is anyone still saving each month's archives as that month
passes? Our archives go back 2 1/2 - 3 years (currently to Oct.
2000), and are added to in monthly increments of between 2 and 3
mb each. Since our archive storage is set at 100 mb, and I like
to keep 25 mb open for "emergencies" and a safety net, I am
deleting the oldest month about once every 2 months now.

I know that someone had stored "old archives" on their home
machine and has made them accessible via our website. Are you
still adding to them?

Herb: You were having someone collect all the old archives; did
that occur?

I almost never use the archives, so it doesn't really matter to
me, but I know that some folks use them regularly. I suppose, to
them, it would be nice if _someone_ had them all -- somewhere.

The answers are not crucial to anything, but a curious mind
simply wants to know.

For those who don't know about our archives, you can find them
at: http://home.ease.lsoft.com/Archives/bonsai.html

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -- Bonsai List
manager

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Nicolas Steenhout

I know that someone had stored "old archives" on their home
machine and has made them accessible via our website. Are you
still adding to them?

The "historic" archives appear not to be available at the link we have on
our website.

Nicolas
http://www.bmee.net
"A community that excludes even one of its members is no community at all"
- Dan Wilkins

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Chris Cochrane

Jim asked:
Is anyone still saving each month's archives as that month
passes? Our archives go back 2 1/2 - 3 years (currently to Oct.
2000), and are added to in monthly increments of between 2 and 3
mb each. Since our archive storage is set at 100 mb, and I like
to keep 25 mb open for "emergencies" and a safety net, I am
deleting the oldest month about once every 2 months now.

I've been searching because I thought these existed somewhere-- perhaps on a mirror site in Europe.

Eureka! Google appears to have messages going back to day one for rec.arts.bonsai, & they are searchable/sortable!

Try: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ec.arts.bonsai

Hit the button to 'search rec.arts.bonsai only'-- that adds "group:rec.arts.bonsai" to the search box when you enter it. After that, I found it helpful to "sort by data" though Google Groups also offfers a "sort by relevance." You can put in a name of t
he poster or even the a word used within a posting (not just words from a post's title). There is also an "Advanced Search" for seeking combinations.

FWIW, on April 1, 1993, news.announce.newgroups reported that "rec.arts.bonsai is an unmoderated newsgroup which passed its vote for creation by 189:22 (source: http://www.landfield.com/software/ft...ec.arts.bonsai). Mike Barto
lone posted a proposal for establishment of the r.a.b group on February 1, 1993 (source: http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/...ec.arts.bonsai). Mike noted then, "Currently, discussion of the art of bonsai is c
arried out in the BONSAI mailing list, AND in alt.bonsai. This group has, in the 6 months since its creation, been a forum for the discussion of the joys and woes, the art and techniques of growing and maintaining the beautiful dwarfed trees known as bonsa
i.

Somewhere I picked-up that the alt.bonsai newsgroup began in August 1992, but the earliest posts I could readily locate were by Richard K. Nordin in September 1992.

Maybe someone can find when the term "Internet Bonsai Club" replaced the "bonsai mail(ing) list" as a reference. The "tipped tree logo" discussion is probably easily traced. What other discussions carried significance for IBC's history?

Cool... :-)

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

Old 07-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Nicolas Steenhout

Chris, thanks for this, I'll see how I can use it.

I don't want to have to manually download and translate all that in a
format usable by our new site :-/

Nic
http://bmee.net

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 07-08-2003, 09:08 PM
Bart Thomas

Thanks for that, Chris.

Looks like a cleaner way to review recent posts as well.

Bart

http://www.landfield.com/software/ft...c/rec.arts.bon

****

****

Old 07-08-2003, 09:08 PM
David J. Bockman

Maybe someone can find when the term "Internet Bonsai Club" replaced the
"bonsai mail(ing) list" as a reference. The "tipped tree logo" discussion
is probably easily traced. What other discussions carried significance for
IBC's history?

Squirrel stew recipes?

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com

Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Craig Cowing

"David J. Bockman" wrote:

Maybe someone can find when the term "Internet Bonsai Club" replaced the

"bonsai mail(ing) list" as a reference. The "tipped tree logo" discussion
is probably easily traced. What other discussions carried significance for
IBC's history?

Squirrel stew recipes?

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

How about looking up old acquaintances?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 21-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Craig Cowing

Chris Cochrane wrote:

snip

Maybe someone can find when the term "Internet Bonsai Club" replaced the "bonsai mail(ing) list" as a reference. The "tipped tree logo" discussion is probably easily traced. What other discussions carried significance for IBC's history?

Cool... :-)

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

Chris:
In an idle moment I went back and did a search on this. This is what I came up with. The earliest reference that I could find to "Internet Bonsai Club" was in an email from Mike Bartolone on Dec. 133, 1994 wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New
Year.

Then I found this interesting post from July 24, 1995 in an apparent discussion about the possibility of a paper newsletter for the IBC (!):

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
In article
Bob writes:

After reading the posts on organizing this group I must
confess that I feel a little perturbed. In my opinion part
of the beauty and power of this medium is the ability for
anyone to gain access immediately and for free. All of the
listed benefits can be gained by anyone by joining one of the
organized bonsai groups. Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture
but my two cents says if it isn't broken don't try to fix it!

I tend to agree with you. The Internet Bonsai Club is really just a
nifty label Dan Cw started on the bonsai web page site at WSU for lack
of nothing else to call the W3 site and this newsgroup. But when
enough people take a label like the 'Internet Bonsai Club' seriously
and even publish it in good ole fashioned paper form in order to give
none computer bonsai-ers a more tangible concept to grasp...the idea
kind of sticks around. I don't see any reason why the Internet Bonsai
Club can't still grow in free form. Other Bonsai web sites are starting
to sprout. Perhaps even BCI and ABS will have homepages of their own
in the future and hence become part of the Internet Bonsai Club just by
existing on the Internet.

But the idea of how to identify Bonsai Internetters at bonsai functions
in the real world still fascinates many of us. Some of us (like me),
still prefer to remain anonymous at real world events.

Best regards,
Geoline Havener-Memphis Bonsai Society Editor
++++++++++++++++++++++

Being interested in history I always enjoy going back to primary sources, so this was fun, considering I don't recognize the names of these early people. Out of curiosity, who on the list was involved at this early stage? I saw a post from Iris Cohen fro
m sometime in 1995. Anyone else?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
Old 22-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Being interested in history I always enjoy going back to primary
sources, so this was fun, considering I don't recognize the names of
these early people. Out of curiosity, who on the list was involved at
this early stage? I saw a post from Iris Cohen from sometime in 1995.
Anyone else?

Craig Cowing

It was very amusing to discover that Geoline was such a shrinking violet!

I remember, back in 1995, when I'd get a whopping total of 10-12 emails a
day from the IBC. I had to ask someone what "LOL" meant.

Does the online archive go back that far? I'd love to find that poem in
Swedish that Bonsamurai wrote about me and squirrels

Nina Shishkoff

Old 22-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Anita Hawkins

Nina Shishkoff wrote:
Does the online archive go back that far? I'd love to find that
poem in Swedish that Bonsamurai wrote about me and squirrels

Dearest Nina - from Anita's personal excessively large archive!
The bonsamurai rides again.. how is the ol' Swede doing, one wonders?

He wrote this limerick back in '98:

It works in Swedish :-)

Hon är makalös, Nina Shishkoff
Fyller IBC med vettigt stoff
Hon är trivsam och snäll,
Säger aldrig: "Go to Hell!"
Men om någon pratar ekorrar: TJOFF!

[She's amazing, Nina Shishkoff
Fills the IBC w/ no-nonsense stuff
She's nice and nice
She never tells you to go to Hell
But if you talk of squirrels: SMACK!]

Anita
-----
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
Go forth under the open sky, and list
To Nature's teachings.
- William Cullen Bryant

Old 22-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Dearest Nina - from Anita's personal excessively large archive!
The bonsamurai rides again.. how is the ol' Swede doing, one wonders?

I heard from him at Christmas, I think. He's doing well, and he lurks
here sometimes, as does Geoline. I haven't heard from Dan Cw. in a long
time. Of course I still miss Hud Nordin and the Haikumatic. And if
anyone wonders where Phil "life is a blur of meat and Republicans" Stevens
is, he's in China, where he's seeing some wonderful Penjing.

Nina, an oooooold timer.

Old 22-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Dearest Nina - from Anita's personal excessively large
archive!
The bonsamurai rides again.. how is the ol' Swede doing, one

wonders?

I heard from him at Christmas, I think. He's doing well, and

he lurks
here sometimes, as does Geoline. I haven't heard from Dan Cw.

in a long
time. Of course I still miss Hud Nordin and the Haikumatic.

And if
anyone wonders where Phil "life is a blur of meat and

Republicans" Stevens
is, he's in China, where he's seeing some wonderful Penjing.

Nina, an oooooold timer.

I had occasion to Google for my oldest post to the group the
other day: May 23, 1994 (it was an introduction and blather
about using native trees for bonsai). That was pre-IBC.

Dan Cw isn't Cw any more. Anyone recall the new moniker he
(legally) changed it to?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

Old 22-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Does the online archive go back that far? I'd love to find

that poem in
Swedish that Bonsamurai wrote about me and squirrels

You've got the poem, now, of course, but you can Google on
"Google groups" and choose the advanced search on rec.arts.bonsai
and go all the way back. I haven't tried to go back to (since I
wasn't there then ;-) In The Beginning.

Old 22-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Chris Cochrane

The only poster now reaching back to the beginning of the list (April 1993)
is Kitsune Miko (formerly SandyV). Posting in May 1994, I think you are
next oldest, Jim. It appears that Roger Case posted first in September,
Iris in November & Nina in December 1994.