Old 10-01-2005, 12:15 PM
White Monkey

Hi there Katrina, nice to see you back here with us. Nice paph no matter
the name.
Hope all is well with your baby & your relocation.
I would opt for a south east window.
Cheers Wendy

Thanks! Yup, lots of things have gone down in the past while, but all's

OK
now.... Little Walter was born almost 4 months ago, at home as planned,

and
then we had to go to the hospital because he was a little small and
cool--long story short, he suffered a collapsed lung and was hooked up

everything under the sun in Intensive care and we were, to say the

least,
very frightened, but he came home again at two weeks old and is a

thriving
and happy little man. We have to move because the landlords, who

promised we
could stay here 3 to 5 years, have decided to sell after 8 months and so
won't be renewing our rental contract. So it's off to a much smaller

place
with the orchids, the cat, the baby, and the ten month old Great Dane!

But
hey, we're headed for the Jordaan--the artists' quarter. Everyone wants

live in the Jordaan. It was all we could find in a hurry; go figure.
Thanks for your advice and well-wishes,
Katrina

Oh, Katrina! I envy you the home birth! I couldn't. Mine were both
born in the hospital - Cesareans. They turned out fine, though!
Reka

Unless there is a medical reason otherwise (which in your case there clearly
was), home birth is the norm here, and is encouraged by doctors, insurance
companies, and hospitals because it is cheaper for the health care system,
safer, and leaves the maternity-ward hospital beds free for people who
really need them (like you, for example). I had a very good experience, and
loved the midwifery practice we used and the lady who came out on the day.
--Katrina

Old 22-01-2005, 04:45 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:25:18 GMT, "Grace"
wrote:

Found this all dried up set out in someone's trash.
Brought it home, potted it in my cymbidium mix and
it's perked up. Looks like an orchid of some type.

I don't know what it is. I grow cymbidiums. It
looks diseased??? or are the discolorations from
neglect? Will it grow outdoors in semi-shade as
my cym.'s do? (Southern Calif. coast)

It has a tag that reads: #120 Blc. (Gold of Old x Marita) X Blc. Gorgeous
Gold

Here's a photo
http://tinyurl.com/3t33j
What advice can you give me?

Grace

Grace -
It will not like the cold that the Cym can take. When the
nights get below 55 it will have to be indoors. It would
probably prefer it closer to 60.

The mix needs to drain better than the cym. So water it lightly.
Let it dry out more than you would for your Cym. IT has had so
much trauma I would give it a rest say 3 months of Cym or
slightly lower light. Then repot with less particulate matter in
the bark mix. Less of the stuff that is small and holds water.
Then you can try a little more light (gently, they can sunburn)
until after several weeks you have it in close to full light. Do
not let the leaves get warm from the sun. That will be burn. Do
work it into bright light.
If it recovers it should bloom earlier in the fall.

Marita is a Stewart cross and Gorgeous Gold is a Jones and Scully
cross but I can not find anything under Gold of Old. There is an
LC Gold that just lists S and 1937 as the hybridizer. Sorry. We
can only guess that it will look like a Cattleya flower and be in
the yellow or yellow gold tones... best guess.

Good save and good luck growing it.
SuE
Old 22-01-2005, 11:52 PM
tbell

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:25:18 -0800, Grace wrote
(in article . net):

http://tinyurl.com/3t33j

The tag tells you that it's a brassolaeliocattleya, not a cymbidium. The
leaves look well hydrated, and the only spot I can make out looks like
sunburn. It would do best in a coarse bark or inorganic medium plus or minus
charcoal and perlite, with higher light than your cyms would appreciate.
Allow it to dry between waterings, and fertilize 1/4 strength every watering,
with occasional plain water flush.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700

What have I got? White Monkey Orchids 0 05-01-2005 08:57 AM
What Have I Got?! Thorny Roses 2 14-06-2003 04:32 PM