Old 01-02-2005, 04:12 PM
K Barrett

Default Zygo mackaii/mackayi

We discussed the proper spelling of this name on APBO the other day, so I
figured I'd ask Julian Shaw what he thought. Here's his response:

Thank you for your e-mail query.
The plant in question was named by Hooker in Curtis's Botanical Magazine
vol. 54: t. 2748 in 1827, as Zygopetalum mackaii. This spelling is followed
in several botanical works as you have indicated.

A number of other works use the spelling mackayi, including;
Pabst, Orchidaceae Brazilienses 2: 283, #1745 (1977),
Pridgeon, Illust. Encyc. Orchids 290 (1992).
Warren & Miller, Orchids of the high mountain rainforest... SE Brazil, 133,
#1745 (1994). McQueen, Orchids of Brazil 192 (1993)

The ICBN 60.1 states that 'The original spelling of a name or epithet is to
be retained, except for the correction of typographical or orthographical
errors and the standardizations imposed by ... Art. 60.11.'
And Art. 60.11 tells us to look at Rec. 60.C.1., where under (a) we can find
the example gray-i for Gray.
From this I would infer that mackaii, should be corrected to mackayi, as it
is formed from the name Mackay.
In the Orchid Hybrid Register, we currently treat mackaii as a synonym of
mackayi. However, I think it would be wise to seek a second opinion on this,
so I will copy this e-mail to my colleague Alan Leslie who has greater
experience in these sort of questions.

Best regards

Julian Shaw
RHS Orchid Registrar

Old 01-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Eric Hunt

Kathy,

Interesting. I am also in an email conversation with another orchid expert
(since he didn't reply publicly, I am going to refrain from names for now)
about this, and will have a report shortly.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

#1745 (1994). McQueen, Orchids of Brazil 192 (1993)

The ICBN 60.1 states that 'The original spelling of a name or epithet is to
be retained, except for the correction of typographical or orthographical
errors and the standardizations imposed by ... Art. 60.11.'
And Art. 60.11 tells us to look at Rec. 60.C.1., where under (a) we can find
the example gray-i for Gray.
From this I would infer that mackaii, should be corrected to mackayi, as it
is formed from the name Mackay.
In the Orchid Hybrid Register, we currently treat mackaii as a synonym of
mackayi. However, I think it would be wise to seek a second opinion on this,
so I will copy this e-mail to my colleague Alan Leslie who has greater
experience in these sort of questions.

Best regards

Julian Shaw
RHS Orchid Registrar

Nice quick response and very detailed explanation. Not like many
given to us who are not taxonomic experts.
SuE
Old 01-02-2005, 08:18 PM
wendy7

Thanks ever so much Kathy, you're a trooper.
I will keep my tags as they are Z. mackayi & add mackaii as a syn.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

K Barrett wrote:
We discussed the proper spelling of this name on APBO the other day,
so I figured I'd ask Julian Shaw what he thought. Here's his
response:

Thank you for your e-mail query.
The plant in question was named by Hooker in Curtis's Botanical
Magazine vol. 54: t. 2748 in 1827, as Zygopetalum mackaii. This
spelling is followed in several botanical works as you have indicated.

A number of other works use the spelling mackayi, including;
Pabst, Orchidaceae Brazilienses 2: 283, #1745 (1977),
Pridgeon, Illust. Encyc. Orchids 290 (1992).
Warren & Miller, Orchids of the high mountain rainforest... SE
Brazil, 133, #1745 (1994). McQueen, Orchids of Brazil 192 (1993)

The ICBN 60.1 states that 'The original spelling of a name or epithet
is to be retained, except for the correction of typographical or
orthographical errors and the standardizations imposed by ... Art.
60.11.'
And Art. 60.11 tells us to look at Rec. 60.C.1., where under (a) we
can find the example gray-i for Gray.
From this I would infer that mackaii, should be corrected to mackayi,
as it is formed from the name Mackay.
In the Orchid Hybrid Register, we currently treat mackaii as a
synonym of mackayi. However, I think it would be wise to seek a
second opinion on this, so I will copy this e-mail to my colleague
Alan Leslie who has greater experience in these sort of questions.

Best regards

Julian Shaw
RHS Orchid Registrar

Zygo triste 'Deni' closeup V_coerulea Orchid Photos 3 17-01-2008 07:23 PM
Z mackayi Pat Brennan Orchids 11 17-02-2006 12:36 PM
Attn Zygo growers Reka Orchids 9 24-02-2005 06:17 AM
Zygo mackayi again K Barrett Orchids 3 08-02-2005 09:15 PM
Zygopetalum mackayi bloom time? Caren Orchids 5 30-01-2003 10:45 PM