Old 25-02-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Just got back to Newsgroups

I have loaded Firefox and Thunderbird but for now I am using Google to
access the newsgroups. I noticed under the terms of service that access
through Google can not be used for any commercial purpose. I suppose
that would restrict the posting of plants for sale or wanted to
purchase.

Old 25-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Ray

I seriously doubt it would be a problem if someone posted a messages stating
"I'm looking for 'X', can anyone point me in the right direction?" It
certainly be best if the responses were restricted to "Have you checked out
so and so.." and that if you had what the person was looking for, you email
them directly.

As far as selling is concerned, we long ago came to the agreement that it's
OK to state "I've got some of XYZ. If interested go to this website." or
"send me an email." It is not OK to post a list.

ups.com...

Old 25-02-2005, 04:27 PM
K Barrett

There's a newsreader called 'Agent' that is free that I keep intending to
try. There's a trial period and after wards it reverts to rudimentary
features. I think it has a 5 cows rating.

K Barrett
(I got a mini mac, and have to use Google groups to access Usenet when I'm
on that one... so I'm looking at Agent, too.)

ups.com...

Old 25-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Rob Halgren

tennis maynard wrote:
wrote:

I have loaded Firefox and Thunderbird but for now I am using Google to
access the newsgroups. I noticed under the terms of service that access
through Google can not be used for any commercial purpose. I suppose
that would restrict the posting of plants for sale or wanted to
purchase.

I'm curious why you aren't using the Thunderbird for newsgroups. I've
had no problems with it so far. Is there a charge for Google newsgroup
access? I was unaware they had such a feature.It might come in handy on
vacation.

I also use Thunderbird. Never had a problem. I don't use google for
newsgroups, so I hadn't heard of the 'not for commercial purpose'
clause. I suspect that means something other than the occasional
posting of plants for sale, which as you know isn't an accepted activity
for this particular newsgroup. So I think Google would let you get away
with it, but the rest of the newsgroup members might flame you to death.
In other words, the established culture of the newsgroup creates that
particular rule, not some external force. But it is culturally
acceptable to infrequently post a message saying you have some plants
for sale, and directing people to contact you off list about it.

I wouldn't classify a plants wanted list as a commercial activity, and I
think that is a good activity for this newsgroup. We are looking for
information, I don't know anything more basic to an orchid grower than
'where can I find the plant I want?'. As long as the negotiation of
transactions or trades was done outside the group, of course. I think
that transactions are what Google would classify as commercial use.

Speaking of plants wanted, I'm looking for stud divisions of Paph.
appletonianum, hainanense, and wolterianum. There, now I've done it!
*grin*

--
Rob's Rules:
http://www.msu.edu/~halgren

LittlefrogFarm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )