Old 25-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Phalguy

Default Just a question... aerial root

Hello everyone!

I noticed this am that some of my phals had grown aerial root then stopped!
Those roots look now like a wart. I was wondering what can cause such
thing? Could it be the superthrive I`m using with the MSU fertilizer?

Thanks

Claude

Old 25-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Ray

Could simply be low humidity, too.

How much SuperThrive do you use, and how often? I've experienced flower
deformation when overdoing it, and others have related stunted growth, but
it seems to me the dosage would have to be pretty high.

Old 25-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Phalguy

Hello Ray!

I`m using MSU .5 teaspoon and superthrive 1 ml in 1 gallon of water at
every watering.

Claude

Old 25-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Ray

I don't know if 1 ml of ST is a problem, but I'd cut it back to one drop per
gallon for regular use - that's 1/15th of your current rate.

At this point in my growing "career," I only use rooting hormone as a
presoak for media and if I have a suffering plant, not in my normal watering
regimen.

Old 27-02-2005, 09:11 PM
bob

claude;
excuse the absence of caps but i have, it appears, torn both shoulder
rotator cuffs and can just about reach to the keyboard. i also have
phals which put out aerial roots that starterd as little bumps but now
have grown many inches long and kikies have errupted from the site.it
also has put out 7 flower spikes which have started to bear open blooms
drbob

Old 27-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Phalguy

Ouch!

oups.com...

Old 27-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Phalguy

Ouch!

oups.com...

Old 02-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Kenni Judd

Seconds to those recommendations -- and yes, 15x the recommended dosage of
Superthrive, used repeatedly, can definitely cause that kind of problem ...
along with odd new growths and deformed flowers.

Like Ray, we do not use Superthrive on any regular basis. We use it at
about a half capful per 2-gal dishpan, to soak plants being repotted or
potted up from bareroot imports, but only if they don't already have good
root systems.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids