Old 16-03-2005, 11:22 PM
henry wolf

Default Clay pots

When cleaning my clay pots before re-using them, I find it very
difficult to remove from both inside and outside a crust of what may be
salts, calcium or other minerals or chemicals. I have tried soaking them
in a clorox solution, but did not have any success. Is there anything
that is not too toxic or in otherr ways harmful that I can use?.

Old 17-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Phalguy

Hello!

i know that vinegar is quite good to remove calcium salts!

Claude

Old 17-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Ray

I have heard that Epsom Salts will also be a good soak.

Old 27-03-2005, 07:03 PM
jadel

Dave Sheehy wrote:
V_coerulea ) wrote:
: Any acid will dissolve most of the water-insoluble salts on the

pots.

I don't know how true this is but I have heard that lemon juice is a

good
acid to use since citric acid is also a chelator. It chelates the

Calcium
keeping it in solution thereby preventing it from re-precipitating,

making
it easier to wash away.

Dave

Vinegar is far cheaper than citric acid and much safer than
hydrochloric acid.

The smell isn't an issue if you rinse the pots and let dry them
outdoors.

J. Del Col

Old 29-03-2005, 07:59 PM
jadel

V_coerulea wrote:
Any acid will dissolve most of the water-insoluble salts on the pots.

Vinegar is good, and cheap but smelly. It can also take some time to
dissolve it all. I find hydrochloric acid, in the form of muriatic

acid from
the hardware store is cheap, effective and very fast. It's also a bit

more
dangerous to use if you're not used to handling such materials. Dip

the pots
outside or in the garage as the fumes produced are also potentially
dangerous to your health.

I'd rather put up with the smell of vinegar than risk severe chemical
burns and lung damage from concentrated HCL.

Anyone wishing to try HCL had better wear neoprene gauntlets and
splash-proof goggles. And remember---always add acid to water--- never
the opposite.

J. Del Col

clay / ceramic pots in pond manzara Ponds 7 10-01-2004 07:32 PM
Sealing Clay Pots Sammy' Gardening 9 15-12-2003 07:32 PM
Repotting a Spathe Flower / Problem with clay pots Jenny Rizzo Plant Biology 4 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
Clay Clay and More Clay BTInternet News United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 09:32 PM
Repotting a Spathe Flower / Problem with clay pots Jenny Rizzo Plant Biology 4 13-03-2003 04:20 AM