Old 09-01-2004, 02:07 PM
manzara

Default clay / ceramic pots in pond

hello,

I have an indoor pond approximetly 5 months old...water chemistry is
perfect. Recently my shubunkins and koi starting acting strange (crowding
together, skiddish). A pond expert reccomended a medication for parasites
and water changes. Both the medicine and water changes worked
wonders...however it is now going on a week and I am beginning to think it
is more the water changes that are helping and not so much the medicine.
Long story short...are clay pots toxic in ponds i.e. could they be
leaching something bad into the water? Perhaps this is why the water
changes help so much?

Thanks,
Leslie
Old 09-01-2004, 05:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"manzara" wrote in message
news
hello,

I have an indoor pond approximetly 5 months old...water chemistry is
perfect. Recently my shubunkins and koi starting acting strange (crowding
together, skiddish). A pond expert reccomended a medication for parasites
and water changes. Both the medicine and water changes worked
wonders...however it is now going on a week and I am beginning to think it
is more the water changes that are helping and not so much the medicine.
Long story short...are clay pots toxic in ponds i.e. could they be
leaching something bad into the water? Perhaps this is why the water
changes help so much?

If the pots are truely clay and are not fired/sealed in anyway, they will
break down over time release particulates into the water. Are they are
harmful? Who knows. They will certainly affect PH and other parameters.

IMHO, I'd do a full set of tests on all water parameters, and I also would
NOT medicate unless I knew specifically that I had a reason to medicate.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 09-01-2004, 06:51 PM
KenCo

manzara wrote:
hello,

..are clay pots toxic in ponds i.e. could they be
leaching something bad into the water? Perhaps this is why the water
changes help so much?

Thanks,
Leslie

std. (fired/glazed) garden/house pots are fine,
they dont affect anything.

water changes can always help.

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 10-01-2004, 01:32 AM
RichToyBox

The clay pots are probably not the problem, since most are terra cotta or
similar fired clay. The fish produce waste in the form of ammonia, which is
very toxic to the fish. The filter, if you have one, converts the ammonia
to nitrites, which are also toxic. The filter then converts the nitrites to
nitrates, which are plant fertilizer, but in high quantities is mildly toxic
to the fish. The water changes remove the high levels of nitrates if there
is not sufficient plant matter to consume it. There are also pheromones
which are growth suppressors, signals for spawning, signals for fear, that
can build up in the water and cause the fish to act strange. Water changes
are good.
--
RichToyBox

Old 10-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Tom La Bron

Leslie,

One thing that must be considered with your terra cotta pots is country of
origin. If your terra cotta pots are low fired pots from Mexico or Central
or South America, they can have heavy metals in them that could affect your
fish. Lower fired terra cotta has more of a matt finish to it and has a
dull ring when hit with the finger. A high fired terra cotta like you get
from the US or Europe, primarily Italy will have a finish smooth appearance
and when hit with finger will have a slight ring that is almost like doing
the same on a fine piece of lead crystal. Oh, by the way, while you are
hitting your prospect pots with your finger, remember, if you don't get some
kind of ring the pot has a flaw in it and will probably break or crack
prematurely.

By-the-by, you should also be wary of glazed products from these countries
because of a lot of times the glazes have a lot of lead in them.

HTH

Tom L.L.
-----------------------------

Old 10-01-2004, 08:13 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Leslie,

What water tests were taken? ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 10-01-2004, 03:38 PM
manzara

Hi jan,

test kit is by Red Sea called "fresh Lab" includes tests for
Nitrite,Ammonia, and PH (one for 7.4 and one of 7.4)

Thanks

Old 10-01-2004, 07:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

test kit is by Red Sea called "fresh Lab" includes tests for
Nitrite,Ammonia, and PH (one for 7.4 and one of 7.4)

I'd check the Kh, as it plays a very important part in keeping your pH
stable. If you don't have a Kh tester. Do a pH test in the AM and PM. If
there is a wild swing of more than 0.4, one could have a problem with low
Kh. ~ jan
~ jan

[IBC] Fw: [IBC] Ceramic Pots 1 Khaimraj Seepersad Bonsai 5 03-06-2004 05:05 PM
[IBC] Ceramic Pots Kevin Bonsai 9 29-05-2004 04:08 AM
Ceramic pots? MystAvalon Gardening 0 25-05-2003 02:56 PM
Clay Clay and More Clay BTInternet News United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 09:32 PM