Old 22-03-2005, 12:43 AM
David Jewell

Default Den Questions

Does anyone know a good site that can help me figure out the mystery of the
to rest or not to rest with Dendrobiums. I have a quite a few and never
know if I should rest them or not.

Thanks

Dave

Partial List

Dendrobium

Den Antennatum

Den Chao Praya Smile x Den Chao Praya Gem

Den Fire Coral

Den Ise

Den Lasianthera

Den Loddigesii

Den Pacific Pride

Den Roy Tokunaga x Den Nora Tokunaga

Den Sweet Dawn

Den Tangerine Mushroom

Den Virgin Angel

Den. Chameleon

Den. Distichum

Den. Roy Tokunaga

Dendrobium Bracteosum

Dendrobium 'Frosty Bells'

Dendrobium monoliforme N. Australia (I water
regularly and it blooms )

Dendrobium Nobile (I know
this one rests)

Dendrobium Speciosum

Dendrobium Spectabile

Kingianum

Wonder Nishii

Old 22-03-2005, 03:21 AM
Don Quixote

Actually, the Dendrobium moniliforme needs a "dry winter rest,"
according to "The Illustrated Encyclopeia of Orchids"; but if you could
water it year round and it didn't complain, who's to tell you that you
were doing wrong.

My theory: if it's not in active growth and it's not blooming, it must
be resting.

If you can keep it in a humid atmosphere, you will be fine. According to
that encyclopedia, "When in active growth keep plants evenly moist;
during the dormant period (generally the cold winter months) plants do
not require watering but need to be in a humid atmosphere or to receive
just enough water to stop the pseudobulbous stems from shriveling."

No good site for you, but I think this is all you need.

Old 22-03-2005, 04:06 AM
danny

Dendrobium is a very large group of orchids and some of the species require
very different conditions from each other to grow and bloom well. I can
assure you that you won't find the answers in "Ortho's All About Orchids" or
the "Illustrated Encyclopedia of Orchids". Those books simply do not go in
depth enough. It looks like ten of the plants mentioned are species, if you
search for each name individually you may find be able to find cultural
information. I don't know if you can find it all in one place unless you
want to pay for it at Charles Baker's site (www.orchidculture.com). If you
can find someone with a copy of the Baker & Baker book "Orchid Species
Culture Dendrobium" it has information on most of the species. Of course
much may depend on your individual plants, some just bloom more easily than
others. Here is some highly summarized info on rest periods from the Baker
& Baker book:

Not much of a rest period (temps 60F+, never completely dry out)- D.
antennatum, D. bracteosum, D. distichum, D. lasianthera, D. spectabile
(reduce fertilizer in winter)

Cool dry rest (around 50F) - D. kingianum (very bright light), D.
loddigesii, D. nobile, D. monoliforme (don't dry out completely), D.
speciosum (don't dry out completely)

-danny

Old 22-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Kenni Judd

I am not familiar with all the Dens on your list, but have grown several of
them. The only one that jumps out at me as needing a rest (and not already
so marked) is bracteosum. Good growing,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 23-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Larry

I asked a similar question a while ago, and was pointed to the following
site...

http://clanorchids.com/culture/dencult.htm

That whole web site is a loaded with helpful information.

Larry