Old 30-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Chris Ridge

Default Den. aggregatum majus

I have a Den. aggregatum that I got about a year ago out of bloom. Where
does the flower spike emerge on these? The pbulb behind the newest one has
a little sprout started about half way up the pbulb. If this is not the
flower spike, what is it?

Thanks, Chris

Old 30-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Chris Savas

In article 3ul2e.114688$r55.100692@attbi_s52, "Chris Ridge" chrisridge at insightbb dot com wrote:
I have a Den. aggregatum that I got about a year ago out of bloom. Where
does the flower spike emerge on these? The pbulb behind the newest one has
a little sprout started about half way up the pbulb. If this is not the
flower spike, what is it?

Thanks, Chris

Mine is in full bloom right now. The flower spike occurs just above the half
way mark of the pseudobulb.

I didn't repot last year so that there are over two dozen bloom spikes, all in
flower. You might know....there is no orchid show at this time around here.

Another Chris

Old 30-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Diana Kulaga

Den. aggregatum (now known as lindleyi) typically blooms in early spring
(around now) after a winter dry rest. Most people that I know (including me)
grow this mounted on cork or tree fern, since it has an unruly habit and
does that little "staircase" number. A friend has one that completely covers
its slab, all the way around.

Sounds like you have a spike.

Diana

Old 31-03-2005, 03:51 AM
Gene Schurg

Chris,

I have two of these. When I purchased it originally and repotted it, the
plant broke in half. One half I have tied to a piece of cork bark. The
other half I have potted in a 4 inch clay pot with cocohusk and aliflor.
This is the third winter I've had the plants and for the first time both are
beginning to spike.

Like you described there are spikes emerging about half way up the
pseudobulbs.

The potted plant has 3 or 4 spikes and the mounted plant has one so far.
The mounted plant dried out a lot more than the potted one. The mounted one
is about a month behind the potted one.

I'm excited to see it bloom.

Good Growing,
Gene

link.net...

Old 31-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Chris Ridge

Yay!! I'm excited to see this one bloom. Thanks for the info everyone.

Chris

Old 31-03-2005, 09:52 PM
keith ;-\)

My friends has just finished flowering,I love the way the flower spikes
hang.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.
newsqT2e.121508$r55.56394@attbi_s52...