Old 12-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Erik

Default Beginner's Guide to Orchids

Can anybody recommend a decent book? I bought my orchids when blooming
and although they seem happy enough and keep putting out leaves, they
haven't bloomed again. Just curious what the technique is or how long I
need to wait.

Erik
Old 12-04-2005, 04:24 PM
K Barrett

Ortho's All About Growing Orchids. Available in bookstores, garden centers,
and I even seen it at Home Depot.

K Barrett

. ..

Old 14-04-2005, 06:35 AM
profpam

Hi Erik,

Yes, Ortho's All About . . . is a great book for beginners. Another
recommendation is Home Orchid Growing, Rebecca Tyson Northen, 1990.

Although reading is usually beneficial, you might try increasing the
amount of light a wee bit.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 15-04-2005, 02:37 AM
Alison

Erik wrote in message ...
Can anybody recommend a decent book?

I recently got "Growing Orchids" by Brian & Wilma Rittershausen;

Maybe I like it so much because I found it on sale for $6 & it is a
big book but it has quite a lot of stuff on many different kinds of
orchids, well-illustrated culture & growing tips, & some history of
orchids & collectors. I'm not familiar with the Ortho one recommended
but I don't think this one would be too simplistic for more
experienced growers, & it seems to me a pretty good & useful book.

Alison
Old 15-04-2005, 07:10 PM
J Fortuna

Also "Orchid Growing for Wimps" by Ellen Zachos is a pretty good book for
beginners. It has nice tables for different orchid genuses' temperature,
light, etc. requirements. And it is not a very thick book, so if you just
want the basics quickly, it's a good summary for beginners.
Best,
Joanna

. ..

Old 18-04-2005, 01:58 AM
Erik

J Fortuna wrote:
Also "Orchid Growing for Wimps" by Ellen Zachos is a pretty good book for

I'm sold on the title alone. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Erik
Old 18-04-2005, 02:01 AM
Erik

profpam wrote: