Old 18-05-2005, 04:27 AM
J Fortuna

Default pleasant surprise

Well, it's happened again: an orchid that had only so-so blooms the last
time and thus was a bit of a disappointment, has reflowered stunningly,
surprising me most pleasantly. This has happened to me already a few times,
so that I have to conclude that it's wrong to judge an orchid by just one
blooming season because the next time it could make a totally different
impression.

In this case, the orchid in question is an Lc Tokyo Magic 'Hihimanu' x Slc.
Fire Fantasy 'Hihimanu' (my only cattleya thus far). I got it in October
in-sheath at a show, and when the flowers opened I was a bit disappointed
because I had seen much nicer mini-catts, and the flowers were kind of
shapeless and smaller than I had hoped for and with washed out looking
colors -- nothing special. In hindsight I think the two blooms from that
first sheath probably opened prematurely due to stress related to the move
from greenhouse to show to apartment. When I bought this catt, it had
another sheath that was just beginning to form, and then that sheath looked
empty and dry, but when I pealed it open gently, I discovered a second
sheath inside, and that sheath grew and formed a bud, and when this sheath
turned dry I peeled it off, and the bud grew some more outside the sheath,
and now it's this stunning vibrant bloom with gorgeous lip and splash
petals -- the previous blooms were nothing compared to this. And the plant
is in sheath again on a growth that grew up in my apartment already -- I
recall discovering the tiny new growth, and now it's larger than any of the
previous ones (yay).

I wonder whether in addition to the first blooms probably opening
prematurely and thus being less stunning, could it be that this SLC's blooms
look better if the sheath is peeled off and the bud develops outside of the
sheath? This is the only thing that I did differently from the first time
around, I think -- other than the whole relocating of course.

The other times that an orchid pleasantly surprised me has been due
primarily to the same orchid once more mature having a much more impressive
display, so much so, that a so-so orchid one year can become a wow orchid
the following year. It's wonderful to see them flourish like that.

Joanna

Old 18-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Ray

More mature plants normally do put on a more impressive show. I doubt it
has anything to do with peeling back the sheath, but nice, steady culture in
the time leading up to blooming probably helped/

Consider the fact that as you bought it in sheath at a show in October, the
plant would have been "interrupted" in it's normal culture, having been
taken from a nice, comfortable greenhouse and packed up, kept in the dark,
shipped, unwrapped again... Of course that can cause issues.

Old 21-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Gene Schurg

Another consideration would be the season of the bloom. I have a couple of
mini-catts that bloom well in the spring/summer when the days are long and
warm. They sometimes bloom again in December when the flowers are welcome
but the quality is less than that of the warm weather bloom.

It just may be the season of the bloom.

Good growing,
Gene

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
[...]

a very pleasant morning Kate Morgan United Kingdom 47 23-01-2008 02:36 PM
A pleasant surprise Carl Koop Ponds 6 05-06-2003 12:21 AM
Surprise, surprise Zemedelec Gardening 1 30-03-2003 01:20 PM
Acuba Picturata a pleasant surprise! Little Badger United Kingdom 0 25-03-2003 08:20 PM