Old 15-01-2008, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default a very pleasant morning

In spite of the dire weather forecast I have just spent 3 hours working in
the garden. It is not raining and is very mild with a teeny bit of sunshine.
Now I am inside eating my lunch - banana sandwiches - and feeling rather
pleased that I have managed to get so much done. I know that there is still
a great deal of flooding in the county and I should not be too smug.

kate
Gloucestershire

Old 15-01-2008, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Kate Morgan" writes:

| In spite of the dire weather forecast I have just spent 3 hours working in
| the garden. It is not raining and is very mild with a teeny bit of sunshine.
| Now I am inside eating my lunch - banana sandwiches - and feeling rather
| pleased that I have managed to get so much done. I know that there is still
| a great deal of flooding in the county and I should not be too smug.

Well, adding your tears wouldn't have helped :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-01-2008, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 15, 1:14*pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
In spite of the dire weather forecast I have just spent 3 hours working in
the garden. It is not raining and is very mild with a teeny bit of sunshine.
Now I am inside eating my lunch *- *banana sandwiches *- *and feeling rather
pleased that I have managed to get so much done. I know that there is still
a great deal of flooding in the county and I should not be too smug.

kate
Gloucestershire

Here, in France, there is a gale blowing, I mean a real gale, I don't
mind being in the garden even when it's raining but it is dangerous
with tiles coming off roofs.

Judith
Old 15-01-2008, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Jan, 13:14, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
In spite of the dire weather forecast I have just spent 3 hours working in
the garden. It is not raining and is very mild with a teeny bit of sunshine.
Now I am inside eating my lunch *- *banana sandwiches *- *and feeling rather
pleased that I have managed to get so much done. I know that there is still
a great deal of flooding in the county and I should not be too smug.

kate
Gloucestershire

I quite agree, a lovely late morning here in South Wales, the sun was
out for an hour or so, but it did nothint to dry the ground after the
torential rain we had almost all night, over 2 inches of rain, making
2.95 inches in the last 48 hours, the drains can't cope, The water is
running in from the fields above us, and there is a lot more forcast
for us all the way to the weekend.
It will be nice to get away to Egypt and Jordan just to get away from
the rain, but watch out for the headlines "Pyramids closed due to
first ever flooding"
The weather out there will be colder at night than we are having, but
it should be fry and MUD FREE, 2 weeks without my wellies, that will
feel strange.
Even as I write this there are spots of rain on the window,

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
2008 dahlia catalogue now out.
Old 15-01-2008, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

judith.lea says...
On Jan 15, 1:14*pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
In spite of the dire weather forecast I have just spent 3 hours working in
the garden. It is not raining and is very mild with a teeny bit of sunshine.
Now I am inside eating my lunch *- *banana sandwiches *- *and feeling rather
pleased that I have managed to get so much done. I know that there is still
a great deal of flooding in the county and I should not be too smug.

kate
Gloucestershire

Here, in France, there is a gale blowing, I mean a real gale, I don't
mind being in the garden even when it's raining but it is dangerous
with tiles coming off roofs.

Judith

Terrible here in Normandy. It just isn't safe to be outside
- everything is blowing past the window - plastic plant
pots, garden chairs, trees, sheep, cows, tractors :-)
I fear for our roof in this weather. At least we should be
too hight up to be flooded, though the road below could
become unpassable.
--
David in Normandy

Old 15-01-2008, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Jan, 13:57, David in Normandy wrote:
Terrible here in Normandy. It just isn't safe to be outside
- everything is blowing past the window - plastic plant
pots, garden chairs, trees, sheep, cows, tractors :-)
I fear for our roof in this weather. At least we should be
too hight up to be flooded, though the road below could
become unpassable.

Totally cleared up here - sunshine after what I can describe 'the end
of the world' last night. So brace yourself, if you see respite this
evening, it's coming back your way again early tomorow morning ...
Old 15-01-2008, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 15, 1:57*pm, David in Normandy wrote:
judith.lea says...

[...]

David in Normandy- Hide quoted text -

I've just come back from a friend's and I was dodging fallen branches,
it seems even though you and I are in different parts of France, our
weather is the same.

Judith
Old 15-01-2008, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 15, 4:16*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:07:13 -0800 (PST), "judith.lea"

wrote:
I've just come back from a friend's and I was dodging fallen branches,
it seems even though you and I are in different parts of France, our
weather is the same.

It will soon be the same here.

Waarschuwing voor het wegverkeer

Opgesteld op dinsdag 15 januari 2008, om 15.15 uur.

WIND(STOTEN)

In het zuiden en zuidwesten moet het verkeer rekening houden met zware
windstoten van 80-100 km/uur. De komende uren krijgt ook de rest van het land
hiermee te maken.
--

Martin

Batten down the hatches Martin.

Judith
Old 15-01-2008, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 15, 4:23*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:20:35 -0800 (PST), "judith.lea"

wrote:
I've just come back from a friend's and I was dodging fallen branches,
it seems even though you and I are in different parts of France, our
weather is the same.

It will soon be the same here.

Waarschuwing voor het wegverkeer

Opgesteld op dinsdag 15 januari 2008, om 15.15 uur.

WIND(STOTEN)

In het zuiden en zuidwesten moet het verkeer rekening houden met zware
windstoten van 80-100 km/uur. De komende uren krijgt ook de rest van het land
hiermee te maken.

Batten down the hatches Martin.

It's arrived,

CLUNK
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

You should hear it howling round here, I wonder if this time we will
get any damage? I hope all goes well with you Martin.

Judith

Old 15-01-2008, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin says...

"One hand for yourself and a finger in the dyke"

(Cough, splutter) I think you sent that reply to the wrong
newsgroup! :-)
--
David in Normandy
Old 15-01-2008, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

I've lost count of the number of severe storms we have had since
September.
Just about anything that could blow away has gone. Tiles are cemented down
that
originally relied on their weight to hold them in place for 35 years.
We had a complaint from a woman that one of our trees overhung the
pavement
causing her to hit her head on a branch each time she walked past. The
branch is
2.50m above the pavement.
--

Martin

You don't know the song "Walk Tall"?

Kind regards

Mike

Old 15-01-2008, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
I've just come back from a friend's and I was dodging fallen branches,
it seems even though you and I are in different parts of France, our
weather is the same.

It will soon be the same here.

Waarschuwing voor het wegverkeer

Opgesteld op dinsdag 15 januari 2008, om 15.15 uur.

WIND(STOTEN)

In het zuiden en zuidwesten moet het verkeer rekening houden met zware
windstoten van 80-100 km/uur. De komende uren krijgt ook de rest van
het land
hiermee te maken.

Batten down the hatches Martin.

It's arrived,

CLUNK
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

You should hear it howling round here, I wonder if this time we will
get any damage? I hope all goes well with you Martin.
.................................................. ...........................................

Judith

Rain the lot here. Had to get the council out to pump away the floods to get
to my car :-((

(This is a long going battle with the council to put a drain in near my
garage. They will learn that it is cheaper to do that than for them to keep
on answering my complaints. I have the County Councillor working for me AND
the Parish council) :-)).

Mike

Old 15-01-2008, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:44:09 +0100, David in Normandy
wrote:

Martin says...

"One hand for yourself and a finger in the dyke"

(Cough, splutter) I think you sent that reply to the wrong
newsgroup! :-)

It should be an old Dutch saying in times of inundation. :-)
--

Martin

History just isn't taught as it used to be is it?

:-(((((((

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 15-01-2008, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ((snip))

It will be nice to get away to Egypt and Jordan just to get away from
the rain, but watch out for the headlines "Pyramids closed due to
first ever flooding"
The weather out there will be colder at night than we are having, but
it should be fry and MUD FREE, 2 weeks without my wellies, that will
feel strange.
Even as I write this there are spots of rain on the window,

That sand gets everywhere, and I do mean everywhere!
Hope you don't get Tut's Revenge, Imodium doesn't work so get some local
pills ( I recommend "Entocid" ) when you first arrive as insurance, I speak
from experience. :-(

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

MUFFLER,very,very,very LOUD [email protected] Lawns 7 21-09-2006 06:13 PM
pleasant surprise J Fortuna Orchids 2 21-05-2005 02:25 PM
A pleasant surprise Carl Koop Ponds 6 05-06-2003 12:21 AM
Acuba Picturata a pleasant surprise! Little Badger United Kingdom 0 25-03-2003 08:20 PM