Old 22-05-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Insecticide for ants

I have several pots, I grow in a bark mixture, where an ant colony has
taken up residence. I have Knox-Out and Malathion but neither seems to
be listed for ants. Any suggestions?

Old 22-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Kenni Judd

If "several" is a dozen or less, get a big dishpan. Fill to just above the
height of the pots with water to flush out the ants [it will take 10-15
minutes]. Then you can kill them with rubbing alcohol. Or, get something
with acephate as the active ingredient -- Orthene, Isotox, etc.

While you are treating, take a look at the mix. If ants are nesting in it,
it may be breaking down -- as in, time to repot.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

oups.com...

Old 23-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Joe me

One thing that I use for ants is to take equal part of Boric Acid and
sugar, add water a little at a time un till you get a syrup. Put small
drops on the rim of the pots. The ants collect the syrup and take it
back to the nest and everyone dies.

Old 23-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Ray

When I lived in SC and had a lot of ants in the GH, I used to mix 4 ounces
boric acid and 1/4 cup sugar into 1/4 pound of melted candle-making wax,
then pour it into a foil-lined baking sheet.

When it solidified and was broken into chunks, you had waterproof ant baits,
but I think less immediately effective than Joe's recipe.

Old 23-05-2005, 08:34 PM
profpam

One opt to use Schultz' Home and Garden Spray made from Chrysanthemum
flowers. Although there is much debate whether pyrethenes are harmful
to the environment, it is still a natural and appears to be very
effective for ants.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 26-05-2005, 02:16 AM
V_coerulea

Great recipe, Ray. We use 4 oz boric acid to 1/4 cup molasses and 1 cup of
crushed corn flakes and press flat on waxed paper. Chunks of the bait are
placed near any problem area (but hidden from pets and children). It also
works wonders on the scourge of the south - roaches. Didn't know you lived
in Dixie!
Gary

Old 26-05-2005, 03:10 AM
Ray

Hell Gary, between GA, KY & SC, I spent 14 years down south.

But I'm not a "Damned" Yankee, because I did not stay... (That may change
when I retire)

.. .